Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Connecting a Kinect to a PC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Connecting a Kinect to a PC

by jboggs on Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi,

Could someone please provide information or a link to a site that describes how to connect a Kinect to a PC? I've seen the various hacks out there that people are using with Windows but I can't find how to do the actual hardware connection (assuming some kind of adapter between the Kinect and a USB port).

Thanks,
Jeff
jboggs

Re: Connecting a Kinect to a PC

by richms on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:17 am

It would seem that the bundled kinect with a 360 slimline doesnt have the AC adapter or standard USB plug on it, just the propriatiry one.

Is the ac adapter etc available on its own? I have the flatmates kinect sitting here that I cant use since I cant go chopping its plug off to have a play.

richms

by tinsmith on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm

richms wrote:Is the ac adapter etc available on its own? I have the flatmates kinect sitting here that I cant use since I cant go chopping its plug off to have a play.

Uh, it has a perfectly good connector on the end already. I'd be more concerned with making an adapter than with lopping pieces off.
tinsmith

by richms on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:09 pm

It has a proprietary plug on it, not like I can just order one from anywhere to make my own adapter, and microsoft wont sell the adapter on its own, so it looks like i have to wait for someone with a slim 360 who has bought a retail connect with the adapter etc to want to get rid of it. Unlikly to happen in a hurry.

richms

by tinsmith on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Who said anything about ordering one? My normal approach is appropriate-gauge wire and some hot glue.

Note, I wouldn't really recommend this for lines which are handling a lot of power or which are at high voltage. But if you use caution and are attentive to the issues involved it should work fine (which already applies to any time you're working with electricity).

If that doesn't appeal, I'm sure someone will start selling an adapter eventually.
tinsmith

by richms on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Found this - http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/40 ... alers.html - so am ordering one. Only question is the lifespan of the AC adapter since they seem to die quickly on things direct sourced from china.

Edit: or not, with that shipping price.

richms

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.