Need to replace Pi Zero

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jtd771

Need to replace Pi Zero

Post by jtd771 »

Need assistance with swapping out a recently received Raspberry Pi Zero WH (Zero W with Headers). Pi booted three times and now will not boot from any imaged card. Tried three freshly prepared micro SD cards. Pi powers on and the green light is light for a short while then goes out. Otherwise no sign of life. The first three boots the Pi seemed fine and connected wirelessly to my network and I was able to remotely connect to it. MyOrder Confirmation No: 2703011-7059389328.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Need to replace Pi Zero

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It worked and then stopped working. Can you correlated that to anything? What was the last thing done before the Pi stopped responding? Did you ever use the GPIO headers for anything?

jtd771

Post by jtd771 »

Unfortunately I can't correlate it to anything. I was using a MMDVM hat on the GPIO header that I've used on another pi3B without issue, both before and since. I sent a shutdown command via the software and the pi-zero appeared to shutdown correctly. Waited an additional 30 seconds per the instructions and turned off the power strip the power supply is connected to. Turned it back on and the pi-zero wouldn't boot. Tried a fresh copy of the Pi-star software, same. Tired another micro SD card, this time with Raspian, same, no response from the pi-zero.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Try removing the HAT and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, it may be something related to the HAT. It's very easy to damage a Pi via the GPIO header:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... ng/warning

jtd771

Post by jtd771 »

I'm sorry, I probably should have specified that after removing the hat is when I tried the clean install of raspian with no luck. The hat hasn't been an issue prior to or since on another pi.

jtd771

Post by jtd771 »

Bump for Support to see the last post

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The link Carter posted is pretty clear with the warning:
WARNING!
The Raspberry Pi, unlike your tablet or computer is a bare computer board - essentially like a person with the top of their head missing and the brains exposed. Sure it's fun to poke and prod, connect hardware and sensors directly to the GPIO pins on the Pi, but those have no protection circuitry on them!

Since pins are exposed its really easy for people to damage the Pi by static shock or misconnecting pins.

When using the GPIO pins, never connect the 5V or 3.3V power pins to ground, even for a moment! This will damage the regulator permanently. Also, never connect 5V or higher or less then 0V to any of the GPIO pins! This can also permanently damage the Broadcom processor

Really, we mean it! Once you connect anything to the GPIO pins or touch them with your hands, the warranty is void! Be mindful when you use the GPIO, or be OK with the possibility you will be replacing the Pi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”