JST Connector Pin Polarity and Numbers

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lesliev

JST Connector Pin Polarity and Numbers

Post by Lesliev »

Hello,
Hope someone can advise.
I have found that most Adafruit boards with jst battery connectors use the pin configuration
Pin1 = Gnd (-)
Pin2 = Vcc (+)
Is this an industry standard of some sort or a standard that Adafruit have adopted. Is there any Industry standard for the pin 1, pin 2 setup?
I also see that Pin 1 is usually the pin on the left of a male connector when viewed from the front and indexing slot on top. Is this also an adopted standard of the JST footprint as it doesnt always appear to be followed by those creating the footprint?

Regards and thank you in advance for any advice.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: JST Connector Pin Polarity and Numbers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

As Tanenbaum one said: 'The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.'

In this case there are two ways to wire a 2 pin connector and unfortunately both 'standards' are widely used.

Early on, we settled on the Pin1=GND, Pin2=VCC standard as used in cell phones and many other devices at the time. We use this for all of our boards, battery holders and LiPo cells. The same standard is followed by many others in the hobby electronics industry such as Arduino, Sparkfun, Seeed Studio, Pololu etc.

Unfortunately, one of the larger consumer electronics companies decided upon the opposite standard for use in their game controllers. And others followed suit. So there are lots of 3rd party LiPo cells sold wired with the opposite polarity.

Lesliev

Re: JST Connector Pin Polarity and Numbers

Post by Lesliev »

Thank you, that makes good sense to me and as i use quite a few Adafruit boards in my projects i’m sticking with you guys.
Pin 1 = gnd
Pin 2 = vcc
Cheers and thank you for the response.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”