INA219 High Side DC Current Sensor Breakout - 26V ±3.2A Max

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wanttounderstand

INA219 High Side DC Current Sensor Breakout - 26V ±3.2A Max

Post by wanttounderstand »

I am new to adafruit and electronics such as these. I work for a waste water plant and have some problems I would like to use to learn more about electronics. I have tanks that are filled by a dredge, currently while pumping with the dredge one does not know the level of the tank. I have an arduino mkr gsm 1400 that I have connected to arduino's IOT platform. I can successfully read the value from the gsm device on my cell phone. My problem is reading the 24vdc 4-20ma signal from my Siemens ultrasonic sensor. Currently I have a 900mhrz radio comm signal to a receiver read by a plc and displayed on HMI and SCADA. The gsm analogue max voltage is 3.3vdc. Could I use INA219 High Side DC Current Sensor Breakout - 26V ±3.2A Max - STEMMA QT to convert 24vdc 4-20ma to i2c and read that with DAC pin on the gsm? Is this a bad way of going about it? Sorry for my lack of understanding, my first attempt with hwc 485 has not worked out. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: INA219 High Side DC Current Sensor Breakout - 26V ±3.2A

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That could work. With the default range of +/- 400mA, the resolution is 0.1mA, so you would not get a lot of usable resolution in the 4-20mA range.

There are a few off-the-shelf 4-20mA interface boards designed to work with the Arduino. These would give you higher resolution. There is a tutorial on the topic here:
https://www.instructables.com/Interfaci ... ith-Ardui/

And here is another option: https://www.tindie.com/products/eletros ... a-sensors/

wanttounderstand

Re: INA219 High Side DC Current Sensor Breakout - 26V ±3.2A

Post by wanttounderstand »

Thank you very much! I will purchase the NDI product. I saw it but thought it was only 16v but I found an article on the company's page referencing 24v. I need to learn how to use I2c so this will be a good opportunity.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”