AD8495 Termocouple Terminal Issues

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dmitriR

AD8495 Termocouple Terminal Issues

Post by dmitriR »

Guten Morgen, Adafruit pickers!

I've got my hands on a AD8495 K-type thermocouple for temperature measurement and monitoring. One thing that I am unsure of however is if the terminal for the k-type wires is omni directional from a material point of view. I've soldered the terminal so that its facing the pins instead of facing away from the pins as per the photos on the product page. Does anyone know if this will effect the output and operation of the chip?

The usual formulaic output for this chip should be T=(Vo-1.25)/5mV, however the formula that I had calibrated was T=(Vo-1.36)/5mV. I am unsure if this is because of error in the rest of my board, or if its because I soldered the chip together incorrectly. My input voltage is 12V, but from what I gathered that should just effect the range of the chip, rather than the scale itself.

Thanks. Jon.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: AD8495 Termocouple Terminal Issues

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The screw-terminal block can go either way. Both terminals on the block are the same. The main concern is that the terminal block be close to the chip since the cold-junction temperature sensor is in the chip and there should be negligible temperature differential between that and the actual 'cold junction'.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”