Startup new Metro board

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pel1

Startup new Metro board

Post by pel1 »

Hello,

I just received new Metro from Adafruit. I have tried to connect it to my MacBook Air. I still have a flashing red led indicating (apparently) a defect in the USB connection. I am aware that the connection requires a good quality charge /signal cable and I have tried several cables, but I am still getting the flashing red light and no connection. Please indicate recommended steps to solve or replace. Thanks in advance

PE

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Startup new Metro board

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Verify your cable by using it to connect some other, known-working USB device to the computer.

There’s a plague of charge only cables out there with USB connectors at both ends, but no wires for the data signals. Just swapping cables has no diagnostic value.. the current record is someone who had to try ten different cables before finding one with data lines. You need the positive of a working USB connection to rule out the false negative of a charge-only cable.

pel1

Post by pel1 »

Hello and thanks for your reply.

For your information, as explained before, I have tried different cables. I also have even purchased specifically USB signal cables, being specific about the fact I did not want charging only cable. Unfortunately, I still have the red flashing light on the board.

pel1

Post by pel1 »

by the way, I forgot to mention that my cables allowed satisfactory data connection with Android phone.

adafruit_support_mike

pel1 wrote:by the way, I forgot to mention that my cables allowed satisfactory data connection with Android phone.
Thank you, that's the statement I needed to see. Only a working data connection has useful diagnostic value.

Do you see any kind of USB device in the Device Manager on Windows or the USB tab under System Information on a Mac?

pel1

Post by pel1 »

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 15.13.35.png
Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 15.13.35.png (140.66 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Hello,

When I go to the Tools Port in the Arduino IDE, It shows the USB port which is in used (see enclosed picture)

adafruit_support_mike

Okay, that strongly suggests good hardware recognition.

Rereading the information above, I don't see a microcontroller ID.. are you using a Metro 328, M0, M4, or ESP32-S2?

pel1

Post by pel1 »

Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 21.19.18.png
Screenshot 2021-12-13 at 21.19.18.png (12.11 KiB) Viewed 270 times
This is the Metro 328 which I ordered and received recently (see order reference in the attachment). It never worked.

adafruit_support_mike

I don't have access to the sales database. It prevents internet-facing mistakes with people's personal information.

The Metro 328 uses a CP2104 USB-to-serial converter, which can work independently of the ATmega328 itself. That opens a couple angles for testing:

Does the pin-13 LED blink when you connect power? Also, do you happen to have another Uno-or-compatible board? If so, we can try a couple of connection tests.

pel1

Post by pel1 »

Hello,

I have re-installed the Arduino IDE and the board is working fine now. Thanks for you support.

PEL

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”