Remote control tractor

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bob88

Remote control tractor

Post by Bob88 »

Have a small compact tractor I want to remote control with 2 joysticks. Forward/Reverse, steer left/right, increase/decrease throttle, raise/lower 3 pt hitch. Distance of control 2,000 feet. Planning on using Teensy 3.2 on the hand held. Looking for suggestions/recommendations for LoRa packet radios. Maybe some kind of display on both ends. Need very low power consumption. Could use processor recommendations on the tractor side for communications. It will interface with other micros on the tractor for other tasks. Any and all suggests are welcome. BTW Four Actuators are in place and controlled presently with momentary on/off/on 24 volt panel switches.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Remote control tractor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

2000m is the upper edge of line-of-sight transmission for LoRa. People have gotten that distance and more, but usually with directional antennas. Sighting in a parabolic link at that range isn’t fun with stationary antennas, and would be well into ‘not provably impossible’ territory for a moving antenna.

If you really need the distance, a cellular data link like the Particle boards would probably be more reliable than LoRa:

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=particle&sort=BestMatch

Bob88

Re: Remote control tractor

Post by Bob88 »

Thanks Mike! I did not consider that option but I will seriously look at it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”