Building a Stripped Version of Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Android_

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antoniob

Building a Stripped Version of Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Android_

Post by antoniob »

Hi everyone.
Being a total novice, and just trying my hand at building basic Android Apps, I came across the source for your Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Android_V2 APP.
I have used the Android App for testing and learning whilst programming the Feather M0 Bluefruit.
Although the source is available, I have absolutely no idea on what tools are required to get started. I am assuming Android Studio will be required.
I do have some experience in Java, mostly on Linux for systems control and data collection for instruments.
Can someone point me in the right direction to get started. I would like to take the code which is provided and break it down into a very simple app for embedded instrument control. I've already rewritten the Arduino code for the Bluefruit Controller to function as a remote control pad. I would also like to mash together the plotting function for live data presentation.
Any pointers on where to look for App development information would be very much appreciated.
Regards.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Building a Stripped Version of Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Andr

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I checked with the developer of that code:
The Android version can be built using Android Studio.
I just tested it and updated the source code to work with the latest version of Android studio (Android Studio Arctic Fox).
If he downloads the source code from Github and opens it in Android studio, he should be able to compile it and run it in an Android device.

One thing to take into account for an Android beginner is that is this app development started in 2014, so it is using "Classic Android” development tools (Java, Android View System) and not the current “Modern Android” tools (Kotlin, Jetpack Compose…)

I would suggest to start by building the full app and then remove one-by-one the modules that he is not interested in.
For example, a large custom library and JNI (Java Native Interface) support can be removed if he is not interested in creating dithered images on the “Image Transfer” module.

I hope this helps,
Let me know if you need something else.

antoniob

Re: Building a Stripped Version of Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Andr

Post by antoniob »

Thanks for the information.
I'll have a go at modifying the code base, compiling the full app first to get a handle on the process.
Then, from there, removing what I do not require and adding the function of interest.
Regards. Antonio Benci.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”