Reader Switch Multiple outputs for FX Sound board.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryancooper

Reader Switch Multiple outputs for FX Sound board.

Post by ryancooper »

I am looking to add a Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB to my monorail at home.

I would like to somehow trigger different sayings at different parts of the track. I was looking at doing a magnetic reed switch on the track that will trigger the sound board however i would like to use different tracks.

I can not seem to find any kind of magnetic reed switch that has one reader and multiple switches so when the monorail goes over a part of the track it will play the corresponding track.

I know I can do it with one magnetic reed switch and just put the sounds in the correct order but it if misses one or starts at the wrong spot they will not line up. I was hoping someone may have an idea on what i can use to trigger multiple switches to their corresponding tracks with one reader in a very small space.

I was hoping there might me some kind of magnetic reader that sends a signal depending on the strength of the magnet? Or some kind of RFID tag & reader that can signal the board when it goes over the tag?

Thank you for any help!
Attachments
monorail and switvh idea.jpg
monorail and switvh idea.jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 114 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Reader Switch Multiple outputs for FX Sound board.

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Instead of a reed switch, try a Hall-effect sensor that can indicate North and South polarity of a nearby magnet.

With that, you can put a series of small neodymium magnets under the spots where you want a sound to play, using the North/South polarities as bits in an ID number. N-N-N could be 0, N-N-S could be 1, N-S-N could be 2, etc. The microcontroller will read the sensor's output to get the number, then can tell the FX Board what sound to play.

The FX Board has a Serial control inerface, so even a small microcontroller board like the Trinket M0 will do the job:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”