HYDRODIPPING FILMS

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cowboypeepoop

HYDRODIPPING FILMS

Post by cowboypeepoop »

Hello,
So I recently bought a pack of the hydrodip films from here. The first thing I noticed when I received the product was that the backing was clear. As opposed to the ones used in the tutorial video which have a white, matted, backing, these seemed like a different product. This makes it very difficult to figure out which side is the glue side. (Just something I would like to say, I think you guys should keep the white backing as I feel it will help discern which side is the film side. Not to mention, I ruined about 5 sheets just trying to figure out which side was the film side since I had to use my nails to scratch a corner until it peeled to be able to tell. Sometimes that didn't work and I had to bend the corner and then scratch. Because I was using my nails, I couldn't wear gloves, therefore my hands actually ruined the film side due to moisture. Now this is most likely my fault, but in no way is this an easy process and one, that I feel, shouldn't be as tedious as it was.)

This is a minor issue though, compared to what happens when you actually try to use this film. I bought 50 sheets. So far I am down to my last 5 and EVERY SINGLE ONE has done the same thing. They WRINKLE. Now I know you're supposed to expect small wrinkles that smooth out over time but these did not, not to mention they were huge. One time, one wrinkle folded through the entire image, from one corner to another, completely ruining the image. Another handful of times, the fold was so deep that most of the image was swallowed up. Just once I managed to get lucky and got one film that only had minor wrinkles dispersed everywhere. Once I dipped and let the film dry, they bubbled up all over the piece I was dipping. Now I just want to say, I followed the youtube video and the posted instructions to a T except for the part where they said you have to use BOILING hot water. That doesn't seem right considering in the video the water seems pretty tame. So now, I'm just confused as to what I did wrong, if I did anything wrong, or if the product is defective, or if the shown product in the tutorial is completely different than the one that I purchased. Not once did the product act like the ones in the video. I even tried boiling water for the heck of it and still got the same result. I am not trying to bash the product at all as I really wish it would work like it did in the tutorial video. The glue side definitely caught the images perfectly when printing and held them very well. It is just when it comes to the actual hydro dipping where issues arise. Please help. If there is nothing that can be done, I would at least like a refund as its beginning to look like all 50 sheets are worthless.

pixil3d

Re: HYDRODIPPING FILMS

Post by pixil3d »

hi, we tested the new sheets and they transferred as well as the old ones with the same instructions. Here's a video of the process from start to finish:
https://www.tiktok.com/@videopixil/vide ... _webapp=v1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”