Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Options

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yellowbus

Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Options

Post by yellowbus »

I bought a couple of bone conductor transducers for a project and running into some mounting issues. The enclosure will be 3D printed. I know I can model a clip for mounting the transducer but I want something more sturdy. I think the best option is to use the single screw in the back of the transducer and use the two empty holes for indexing. Unfortunately, that screw is too short. In order for it to work, I'll have to print a very thin mounting plate about 1/2mm thick, which won't provide a sturdy mount.

Does anyone know the specs for that screw? The overall length is 6mm. I'm guessing it metric. It seems to be 1.4mm in diameter but not sure about the thread pitch.

Does anyone know if Adafruit sells such a screw in a longer length? Maybe 2mm longer than stock.

Does anyone know of other sturdy mounting methods?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1674
PXL_20220112_065705311.MP.jpg
PXL_20220112_065705311.MP.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 148 times

yellowbus

Re: Bone Conductor Transducer Mounting Options

Post by yellowbus »

Update: I managed to find a screw that's 2mm longer on Amazon and now I'm able to mount it to my 3D-printed enclosure just fine.

However, I noticed the bone conductor is generating sound without pressing against anything. It worked fine by itself before I mounted it. Seems like mounting it by the single screw on the back of the unit causes the vibration to transfer to the mounting surface of my enclosure.

Can someone suggest a better mounting solution? Should I try reducing the mounting surface of my enclosure? Is mounting by the single screw in the back recommended at all? If not, what's the best mounting method? Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try putting a layer of foam tape (or craft foam) between the transducer and the enclosure. That will damp out the vibrations.

yellowbus

Post by yellowbus »

Good idea...it works! With the screw-mount method, adding foam doesn't help much. Turns out it needs to be totally "floating" and supported only by the foam. I have to ditch the screw and redesign the enclosure to "hug" the transducer with foam. Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Apparently the screw itself carries enough vibration to be a problem. A rubber gasket between it and the transducer would probably help, but it sounds like you've already found something that works.

Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”