peltier thermo-electric cooler modules

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tarbear123

peltier thermo-electric cooler modules

Post by tarbear123 »

if i have 2 sets of Peltier thermoelectric cooler modules on top of each other (other set flipped), will that cool/heat the surface?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: peltier thermo-electric cooler modules

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

With two together and one flipped, the middle surface will either get very hot or very code - depending on which sides are facing in.

Be careful, as it would be very easy to damage the modules due to overheating this way.

tarbear123

Post by tarbear123 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:With two together and one flipped, the middle surface will either get very hot or very code - depending on which sides are facing in.

Be careful, as it would be very easy to damage the modules due to overheating this way.
what if I leave space between the 2, if I do how much space should I leave?

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

Peltier modules pump heat from one side to another, adding some extra heat to the output in the process.

You gain nothing by putting two modules back-to-back, and stand a good chance of destroying both of them by doing so. For typical modules, no part of the module can be allowed to exceed 80 degrees Celsius.

What do you really want to do?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Leaving space between them would not accomplish anything other than possibly slowing down the self-destruction a bit. These modules are more effective as heaters than as coolers. And they can easily generate enough heat to destroy themselves.

For any useful application, you really need an efficient way of dissipating the heat from the hot side or they will melt-down internally . Typically you would need a large heat-sink - often with a fan for assistance - or a water-cooling system.

I can't think of any use for putting two of them back-to-back. If you can explain what you are trying to achieve we may be able to offer some suggestions.

kriver808

Post by kriver808 »

Hi, If i wanted to connect three of these, what power supply should i get?

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

If you connect three modules in parallel, 12 V, 15-20 A.

If you connect three in series, 36V, 5-6 A

kriver808

Post by kriver808 »

Hi, I have two of these peltier devices hooked up in parallel to a 12V 10A power supply, however they do not get near as cold as they do when separated. Is there a way to power both of them to where they can get just as cold when connected together?

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”