Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bwanna

Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

Post by Bwanna »

Hi,
Seeking assistance for a Bluetooth adapter for my motorcycle to TRANSMIT Stereo audio and RECEIVE Microphone audio (for the CB Radio). This adapter will connect to my Bluetooth headset in my helmet.

Motorcycle 5 Pin DIN connector provides:
-Stereo Audio Output (Left, Right, Center)
-Microphone Audio Input (M+, M-)

Headset: Sena 20s with BT 4.0

Protocols: support A2DP, HSP
Would be nice if defaulted to A2DP and switch to HSP when microphone audio is provided via the headset/bluetooth signal to the adapter.

After a long time researching this can't find any Bluetooth breakout boards that provide this.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bwanna

Re: Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

Post by Bwanna »

Followup:

Looking for something similar to BC127, but those eval boards don't appear to be available.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You'll probably need to pull parts from an off-the-shelf unit.

Bluetooth is a collective term for a group of mostly-incompatible protocols that happen to be managed by the same industry group. Bluetooth audio is done using the protocol now known as Bluetooth Classic, which is unfriendly to third-party developers. Among other things, all BT-C devices have to transmit a Vendor ID code, which you can only get as a dues-paying member of the BT Working Group ($5k/year last time I checked).

About ten years ago a company offered to let hackers use a subset of their own VID space for noncommercial projects. The BTWG's response was to cancel the whole company's VID space.

None of the other BT-group protocols have enough bandwidth to transmit real-time audio, or have the OS integration to work without specially developed software.

As such, the only real prospect for indepedent Makers is to scavenge parts from licensed hardware.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”