Newbee plugs and cables

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bluebeeman

Newbee plugs and cables

Post by Bluebeeman »

I have 16 (22 gauge solid copper) wires coming into a common location. I would like to bring them into a screw terminal block. From the terminal block to the project case I would like to run two 10 wire cables that I can disconnect at the project case so the case can be moved for repair or battery replacement etc. What do you suggest for terminal blocks, cables and plugs? Thanks

Franklin97355

Re: Newbee plugs and cables

Post by Franklin97355 »

What are your boxes dimensions and how long are your wires going to be?

Bluebeeman

Post by Bluebeeman »

I am planning on building the box myself probably out of wood or marine plywood. Space is not really an issue and I would like there to be plenty of working room. So about 7"x 14"x3" . Wires are running 15' to 24' to the terminal block and then 6"-8" of cable into the box inorder to be neat about it. I have attached 3 pictures. The first shows the shelf where the box will be located with the incoming wires at the top. Second picture is of the current messy breadboard prototype (with only one chime wired and connected to the RTC) and the last picture shows the point of the project, I will be using the arduino to play 16 chimes. Thanks for your help
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 117 times
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 117 times
IMG_0887 (1).jpg
IMG_0887 (1).jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 117 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

How much current do the connectors need to handle? Something like this might work for you: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3123

Bluebeeman

Post by Bluebeeman »

The electro magnets run on 9 volts, I'm not sure how much current that is . . . I could use two of the DB-9 connectors which would give an extra pair of wires should I want to add a couple more chimes in the furture. Would I use cable like this:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... VPEALw_wcB

to connect everything? Thanks dtb

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Most DB type connectors can handle at least 1A per pin for intermittent use. So I expect it would be sufficient for your project needs.

That 9 conductor cable should work fine. But DB-9 connectors are widely used and you can probably find lots of pre-assembled DB-9 cables out there too.

Bluebeeman

Post by Bluebeeman »

So I'm back after a few weeks of other work. Thanks for your help so far, I think one last question. . . the DB-9 looks to work for consolidating the wires coming into the project box. Now I need the opposite end of that plug to attach to the outside of the project box with a terminals on the inside. I can find the DB-9 but I don't see where you sell a plug that can be mounted. Also on regular computers the plug coming from the outside is the male and the female is attached to the computer. Is that how this should be as well?Thanks dtb

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Part number 3122 and 3123 are the mating parts or, if you want to look at 4510 and 4512 they should mount to the box.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”