Custom or similar enclosure

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mppreuss

Custom or similar enclosure

Post by mppreuss »

I recently purchased part #3253 Adafruit Pi camera board case. Do you(Adafruit) manufacture these cases in house? or with another manufacturer? I am looking to purchase some cases similar to the one I ordered but was trying to find out if you(Adafruit) had any that were very slightly larger or if you do custom enclosures as I would not need the brass mount threaded insert or the pcb mounts, just the case itself. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
3253-00.jpg
3253-00.jpg (170.57 KiB) Viewed 83 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Custom or similar enclosure

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

mppreuss wrote:Do you(Adafruit) manufacture these cases in house?
No, we don't make those in-house. Injection molding is a whole field of knowledge we don't have ourselves. We work with an expert who does those and our RasPi enclosures. Unfortunately our supplier contracts forbid sharing source information with third parties.
mppreuss wrote:I am looking to purchase some cases similar to the one I ordered but was trying to find out if you(Adafruit) had any that were very slightly larger or if you do custom enclosures
It isn't easy to customize injection molding. You have to re-machine the molds, or weld in new material and machine that back to the new dimension. The machinists who do that kind of work are at the top of the pay scale because the requirements are so tight.

In general, injection molding is mass-production process with high setup costs. Having a set of new molds built and process tested costs tens of thousands of dollars.

mppreuss

Re: Custom or similar enclosure

Post by mppreuss »

Thanks for your detailed reply!
I am definitely aware of the tooling costs, etc. but was just hoping to find a case manufacturer that already made a case that was “in production” to help alleviate these additional costs of tooling and molds.
Again, I appreciate the response :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”