Adafdruit Sound Board 2MB with Amp not working in Serial Mod

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonah8181

Adafdruit Sound Board 2MB with Amp not working in Serial Mod

Post by jonah8181 »

Hi Adafruit team,

I've asked about this before but haven't gotten a direct answer and am still struggling with my soundboard.

I had a board working for a little while but it just stopped. No longer worked with my Arduino Mega project and couldn't be recognized by the MenuCommands example code supplied with the software.

Thinking there was something wrong with the board, I ordered another. The new one came and when I gave it power it didn't work in any mode including trigger mode. The red light just stays on whenever it gets power (picture attached). It seems from other forum posts this means that this board is defective and should be replaced? Is that so?

For the old board I was using, I went back to try it one more time. That one does work just fine in trigger mode. But not Serial. I have VIN going to 5v, GRD going to ground, UG to ground. Then using pin 18 for TX, pin 19 for RX, and RST is 17.

I figured out to use hardware serials so I commented the software serial line in the code:

Adafruit_Soundboard sfx = Adafruit_Soundboard(&ss, NULL, SFX_RST);

and used this instead for hardware serial:

Adafruit_Soundboard sfx = Adafruit_Soundboard(&Serial1, NULL, SFX_RST);

But the menucommands file just returns a "not found".

I've been trying different ways to get this to work for ages. Is there something I just don't understand or are both the old board and the new one defective?

Thanks for your consideration on this.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.10.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.10.07 PM.png (307.33 KiB) Viewed 55 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafdruit Sound Board 2MB with Amp not working in Serial

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

On the new board, what voltages do you see on the trigger pins?

For the older board, the photo above looks like the male pin header is just passed through the holes in the PCB instead of being soldered. Is that the case?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”