DIY Cables ( USB & HDMI )

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stephaneag

DIY Cables ( USB & HDMI )

Post by stephaneag »

Hi there !
( nb: sorry If I'm posting this in the wrong place, other existing topics on the subject or closely related seems locked/closed )

For an on-going project, I'm considering ordering your neat "DIY Cable parts", but I have some questions before doing so:
- I'll be using a RPi0W ( and maybe later a RPi4 )
- I've found some connectors that could be a fit for connecting one side of a "DIY cable" to a custom pcb, in case it could help others:
- vertical: X05C2020TZ
- contacts on top: LW05201-20
- contacts on bottom: X05B20L20T
( it would be awesome if you could offer some of the aboves in you shop, provided you have enough demands ;p )

Problem: I didn't find any pinouts for the way the 20pins ribbon is 'mapped' to the USB or HDMI connectors, and since I don't have the cable parts yet, I can't do the mapping using few breakouts, not go further in designing my pcb :/ ..

.. so, I did my best to map the USB version ( quite easy, IF I'm not wrong on deducing the layout from the ID/OTG pin that's tied to Gnd ), but I'm really not sure about the HDMI one ( on the actual mapping and which pins are tied together ).
wipDimensionsAndConnectionsWipThnk_artboard3.pdf
(531.04 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Hence, if this could be handy to someone else / if someone has made such mapping, I'd be happy to update the following "cheatsheet"
ps: big thx to NODE & Baptiste for "The Pinouts Book", from which the pinouts & drawings are extracted

This being said, hoping this may somehow help ;)
@Adafruit Keep up the good work :) !
+

PasqualeD

Re: DIY Cables ( USB & HDMI )

Post by PasqualeD »

Hi there

I don't have an answer to your question, but a similar issue with the DIY cables:

I can't find any description or picture, that explain, how the ribbon cable has to be inserted into the corresponding connector.
Do the visible contact from the ribbon cable be face up or face down?

And the clip to fix the ribbon cable is very delicate and is broked very easly.

Does it maybe exist as a replacement part?

Thanks a lot for a reply

Best

stephaneag

Re: DIY Cables ( USB & HDMI )

Post by stephaneag »

Hey !
Don't worry for me, I should be all set for basic needs now, and so may you with the infos I'm about to deliver ( I hope ;p )

An image being a thousand words, a quick advice to you would be to check the short video embedded in most products page: you'll hear some infos maybe not written, and if the images of products don't talk to you, an albeit short yet live demo of said-product

Regarding picture(s) & description(s) explaining how the ribbon cable is inserted in a given connector, the 3rd ( & 4th ) image(s) in the following pages sums it all, and a little logic validates this 'one side up, other side down' manner of doing things: for the most logical reason I can come up with ( maybe among good others ? .. ), it allows to use same connectors breakouts on both sides of a cable ;)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3560
how the ribbon cable is inserted in a given connector: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3560
how the ribbon cable is inserted in a given connector: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3560
3560-02.jpeg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Now, since I received a shipment ( veryyyy fast !! ) with the necessary & was digging the pin mappings for both USB & HDMI, I went ahead and did those for two others types of connectors ( not available at Adafruit [yet ? ] I think .. but now, everyone has refs :) )

For the three parts I did the mappings for, references are taken from LCSC & replacements can be found, while pin mapping "should" stay the same ( make sure just in case, ex: I wasn't fully right on my 'educated' guess for the hdmi pin mapping. ( almost, dah ^^ ) )

I add the 2nd 'quick doc' I did on the subject ( as image below & pdf with more infos ), it may be hosted on some repo in the future & I'll contact Adafruit by mail to thanks them again & possibly add a link to the following file or at least the quick doc ( possibly verified by their team prior to being added to the product page ? .. I left the reasoning behind finding the said-mappings )
summing up my findings ..
summing up my findings ..
Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.00.31.png (542.23 KiB) Viewed 148 times
wipDimensionsAndConnectionsWipThnk_artboard4.pdf
.. reverse mapping & beyond achieved ;)
(660.09 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Hoping this will indeed help you & many others :)
++

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”