RP2040 Macropad LEDs not lighting up

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Topher264

RP2040 Macropad LEDs not lighting up

Post by Topher264 »

Hello,
I have had no issues using this product up until now, where the bottom half of the RP2040's LEDs do not light up at all. Below is a code snippet I used to test the macropad's LEDs, pretty straightforward. The weird thing is they used to work perfectly fine and they *sometimes* work for a few seconds, then go back to being unresponsive. I have only had this product for 5/6 months, so it would be unlikely that all/only the bottom LEDs are dead? Most of the time is spent with the LEDs off so I don't see that being an issue.

Code: Select all

from adafruit_macropad import MacroPad
import time

mp = MacroPad()
mp.pixels.fill((255, 255, 255))
time.sleep(5)

dastels

Re: RP2040 Macropad LEDs not lighting up

Post by dastels »

1. Is CircuitPython and all the libraries up to date? I suggest deleting everything in the lib directory, empty trash, and copying a new copy of what you need into lib.

2. are you using the keypad when it goes bad?

Dave

Topher264

Post by Topher264 »

dastels wrote:1. Is CircuitPython and all the libraries up to date? I suggest deleting everything in the lib directory, empty trash, and copying a new copy of what you need into lib.

2. are you using the keypad when it goes bad?

Dave
Yes, I just updated both of those today and yes/no. It's gone bad more than it isn't, but either way it does not work most of the time. If I were to leave it be, same issue, the LEDs may or may not work (95% of the time they do not)

dastels

Post by dastels »

Can you have a close look at the underside of the board looking for and solder issues on the Neopixels, focussing on the first one that doesn't work. It might be an intermittent connection problem.

Dave

Topher264

Post by Topher264 »

dastels wrote:Can you have a close look at the underside of the board looking for and solder issues on the Neopixels, focussing on the first one that doesn't work. It might be an intermittent connection problem.

Dave
Took a look and it while it looks sound, I used a multimeter and there was no power to the first LED that was not working

dastels

Post by dastels »

That'll do it. If you have the capability/desire you can try dabbing it with a soldering iron to reflow the connection. Let me know if A) you can and want to, and B ) if it fixes it.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”