Adafruit MAX31856 Amplifier compatability with Multifunction

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mld_limelight

Adafruit MAX31856 Amplifier compatability with Multifunction

Post by mld_limelight »

Hello to all,

I am attempting to construct a DAQ to measure temperature with a thermocouple. Currently, I am using a NI USB-6009 Multifunction I/O device with the Python API nidaqmx, rather than a Arduino or CircuitPython board. I have purchased the MAX31856 Universal Thermocouple Amplifier in order to amplify my K-type thermocouple signal such that my multifunction I/O can actually detect the voltage.

My question is, are these two devices likely to be compatible? I understand that the MAX31856 requires several Python libraries, such as adafruit_max31856, board, and digitalio, to run in Python, but is it required that I use a CircuitPython board as well? Please let me know if I can provide any other clarifying information.

Regards,
Lwin

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit MAX31856 Amplifier compatability with Multifunc

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

From a quick skim of the NI USB-6009 manual, I don't think it will be compatible with the MAX31856.

The MAX31856 uses SPI to communicate with a microcontroller. I didn't see anything in the NI USB-6009 manual that looked like it was capable of handling protocol communication like that. It seems to operate at a lower level, doing basic analog/digital input and reading things like pulse response.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”