Bluetooth Temperature Controller Question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
djf123

Bluetooth Temperature Controller Question

Post by djf123 »

Hi,

I wanted to build something that was equivalent to these Govee temperature/humidity sensors (link to Govee page) using the stuff that Adafruit sells, but I wasn't 100% sure what I would need. I have a debian linux laptop and I want the temperature/humidity sensor to transmit to my laptop periodically the temperature and humidity and for this to be automatically logged in a file on my laptop. I may want to build multiple ones of the temperature sensors that I plan to put outside so I'm trying to pick the cheapest components that Adafruit sells.

Would these components work for this application:
Adafruit QT Py ESP32-C3 WiFi Dev Board with STEMMA QT PID: 5405
Adafruit Sensirion SHTC3 Temperature & Humidity Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic PID: 4636
STEMMA QT / Qwiic JST SH 4-pin Cable - 100mm Long PID: 4210

In particular I wasn't sure if Adafruit QT Py ESP32-C3 would work for this application or not. I was a bit confused after reading the specs. Would this controller be able to transmit the temperature/humidity signal from the temperature/humidity sensor to my laptop? Am I missing any needed components? I would have the laptop indoors and the Adafruit components outdoors about 50 feet away. Or would I need a different type of controller to do this? If so, which one would be the cheapest suitable option?

tepalia02

Re: Bluetooth Temperature Controller Question

Post by tepalia02 »

The parts list looks OK to me.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

djf123 wrote:Would this controller be able to transmit the temperature/humidity signal from the temperature/humidity sensor to my laptop?
Generally speaking, yes. I'd suggest using WiFi rather than Bluetooth though.

The most practical reason is that BLE has a nominal range of about 10m under lab conditions. The range you mentioned is far enough that I doubt you'd get reliable communication.

WiFi will also make it easier to transmit information to a computer. With BLE, you need an application that knows how to detect, connect to, and read data from your device. WiFi has already been rolled into the internet hardware layer, so your computer already has code which can communicate that way. You'll also have the option of letting the remote devices send information to an online service like our Adafruit.io, whcih can collect, group, and display information on any computer.

djf123

Post by djf123 »

Mike thanks. Would that QT Py dev board be able to transmit wifi too? Or would I need a different dev board or an antenna attachment?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yes, the ESP32 can do WiFi as well as BLE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”