Bad Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4 GB RAM

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
monore

Bad Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4 GB RAM

Post by monore »

Sometime ago, I received a very hard to find Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4 GB RAM. Just this weekend, I finally had some time to set everything up, ran my custom application and I got some weird error having to do with my application not being able to open a GPIO pin.

The thing is that I have other Raspberry Pi computer configured identically and running the identical application and the other Raspberry Pi computer work perfectly fine. Given that all Raspberry Pi I have are the exact same model, running the exact same OS, configured exactly the same and running the exact same application, I am led to believe there must be something wrong with the hardware. Basically, I got a defective Raspberry Pi.

Note that everything works perfectly fine, the OS boots up no problem, the connected camera runs perfectly fine, etc, its only an issue when the app tries to open the GPIO pin on the board.

Any though as to why this may be happening other than a defective board?

Thanks.

freddyboomboom

Re: Bad Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 4 GB RAM

Post by freddyboomboom »

Are they on the same firmware version?

Is some package on one a different version than the other? In other words, have you run an apt update/apt upgrade on one and not the other?

Is i2c enabled on one and not the other?

Is SPI enabled on one and not the other?

Etcetera.

This is a question better suited to the Raspberry Pi Foundations forums. They're really the experts on Raspberry Pi's.

Without knowing more specific information, anyone would be blindly speculating.

monore

Post by monore »

All were setup identically (is the same image), aka, all have the exact same OS image, all have the exact same configuration, etc, etc. Still have issues with one but not the others. Even after applying the latest and greatest updates, still same issue. I have 5 Raspberry Pi all configured identically (by identical I mean identically not almost identically), only one has that issue the others work just fine.

I am not sure about the firmware but I seriously doubt that a firmware update was issued that cause GPIO pins not to work, that would be an extreme gross oversight.

I am 99.99% sure this is an issue with the hardware, the only reason for me posting here is really just to get the return / exchange process going as the Ada Fruit return process kind of forces you to go through this, I have no problem with following the process.

Thanks.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

You're probably going to have to at least post the error message you're getting.

tepalia02

Post by tepalia02 »

At first, you can check if you have installed the OS meticulously in your RPI 4B:

https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ ... -pi-4.html

Then try to run a simple python script such as-LED blinking or so on. If the script runs successfully, the board is not faulty. Maybe you gotta check the application that you're using.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”