Using the bq24074 to power an environmental probe

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NilsRiver

Using the bq24074 to power an environmental probe

Post by NilsRiver »

Hello everyone,

I'm building a solar powered environmental probe project. I found the bq24074 solar charger but I can't be sure that it can power the microcontroler during the same time it charges the LiPo battery. If yes, does it do it using the USB port or the second JST port ?

Thank you very much for your answers and please feel free to tell me if I'm not posting in the right section or if it is a clone of a previous topic.

Best Regards,

NilsRiver

mikeysklar

Re: Using the bq24074 to power an environmental probe

Post by mikeysklar »

You can run the microcontroller as the LiPoly / LiIon battery pack is charging.

The LiPo pin gives you access to the charging battery.

You can also use the Load Out JST 2-pin or the OUT pin for your microcontroller.

NilsRiver

Post by NilsRiver »

mikeysklar wrote:You can run the microcontroller as the LiPoly / LiIon battery pack is charging.

The LiPo pin gives you access to the charging battery.

You can also use the Load Out JST 2-pin or the OUT pin for your microcontroller.
Thank you for your answer ! I also saw that the charger "Automatically uses the input power when available, to keep battery from constantly charging/discharging, up to 1.5A draw. Load output is regulated to no-more-than 4.4V".

For that feature to work, can I use any of the pins you mentioned or do I have to use specifically the Load Out JST 2-pin or OUT pin ?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The pins I mentioned would be the easiest to keep track of if you are charging via a source other than solar. You would also have the VBUS available to you when there is a USB charge source.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”