JST-XH 2.54mm Pitch Connector Kit - PID #4423

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jander42

JST-XH 2.54mm Pitch Connector Kit - PID #4423

Post by Jander42 »

I have this kit from Adafruit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4423

How do I attach wires to the male adapter?
Adafruit_P4423_small.jpg
Adafruit_P4423_small.jpg (105.6 KiB) Viewed 193 times

I have some wire runs to sensors that I'd like to be able to disconnect when removing a case cover. I was hoping to use this kit to make quick disconnects. The female side is what is shown in online videos. The female parts on the left side of the photo make total sense. I've crimped the female connector onto the wire and then installed them into the female socket side.

The male side I'm stumped. Another old post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=168924&p=826647&hilit=4423#p826647 indicates the male sockets (top right in photo) go on perf board. Unfortunately that isn't what I need. I've soldered a few wires directly onto the male posts but the plastic melts slightly and it is a trick to keep them aligned. Also, if that is the only way the male end is intended to work I'm not sure what the male crimping ends (bottom left of photo) would be for.

Anyway, any insight into how I can connect two wires with this kit would be appreciated. Thank you.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: JST-XH 2.54mm Pitch Connector Kit - PID #4423

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you mean the connector in the upper right corner, those are designed to fit in a PCB.

If you want to connect wire to them, the tricks are timing and heat control. Hold the connector in a set of helping hands as shown in the photo above, so the concave part of the bent pins face upward. Flux the pins, melt a blob of solder onto the tip of your iron, and touch the molten blob to the pins. The bend in the pin should capture a small amount of solder.

Next, tin the ends of the wires you want to use. Dip the tinned wire in flux, hold the wire next to the tinned lead from the connector, and heat the wire with your iron. The iron will melt the solder on the wire, and the wire will transfer heat to the solder on the pin. The solder on the wire will melt into the solder on the pin with as little heat as possible.

Jander42

Re: JST-XH 2.54mm Pitch Connector Kit - PID #4423

Post by Jander42 »

That was helpful, thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”