Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744 + Large Surface

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Leelamb

Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744 + Large Surface

Post by Leelamb »

I've wired up my Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744 in analogue configuration with two Large Surface Transducer with Wires - 4 Ohm 5 Watt and am powering it with a wall plug (12V 5A switching power supply.) It's making sounds and the pot/volume knob is working well but when running a MONO signal through amp, only one of the stereo channels is sounding. This is always the case, whether I'm running mono sound through a mono cable or a stereo cable. It switches from the left and right side depending on the cable but otherwise is exactly the same.

When I run stereo signal through the amp (from a phone or laptop) both transducers work well but one side (typically the left side) is significantly louder than the other.

I purchased two of these Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744's and 4 large surface transducers and have wired both up, switched around the transducers and cables, and the problem is identical with both amps.

Is there any simple solution to this issue?

mikeysklar

Re: Stereo 20W Class D Audio Amplifier - MAX9744 + Large Sur

Post by mikeysklar »

Using mono you should only expect sound on one side.

We do have another post that recommends a passive circuit you can build to combine both channels and produce a single mono signal.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67995

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”