MPRLS Pressure Sensor question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lenlope

MPRLS Pressure Sensor question

Post by lenlope »

Hi there,
I have the MPRLS Ported Pressure Sensor Breakout connected to a custom board with a Xilinx Versal chip running a custom Linux OS built by PetaLinux. I plan to interact with the sensor in software via the C/C++ i2c-dev framework instead of using the Arduino library (because the board is not an Arduino) or the CircuitPython library (because the board does not have Python installed). Is this feasible? If so, are there instructions on how to configure the device tree to include the sensor- namely the name of the Linux kernel driver that I would need for the device tree node's "compatible" property, interrupt properties, and any other special device properties that I would need to set? In addition, are there any properties in PetaLinux aside from enabling i2c-dev that I would need to set? If none of this is possible, since it is running a Linux OS, is using the CircuitPython library the only viable option that I have?

Thanks,
- Lena

adafruit_support_mike

Re: MPRLS Pressure Sensor question

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

lenlope wrote:Is this feasible?
Maybe? It mostly depends on the existence of I2C support in the codebase for your custom Linux.

Assuming you can do I2C, you can use our libraries as working code references for a driver.
lenlope wrote:If so, are there instructions on how to configure the device tree to include the sensor- namely the name of the Linux kernel driver that I would need for the device tree node's "compatible" property, interrupt properties, and any other special device properties that I would need to set? In addition, are there any properties in PetaLinux aside from enabling i2c-dev that I would need to set? If none of this is possible, since it is running a Linux OS, is using the CircuitPython library the only viable option that I have?
Not a clue.. custom Linux distros usually remove all the standard runtime utilities and replace them with a single binary that provides a subset of the usual features. Your best bet will be to look through the documentation for PetaLinux and see how it handles I2C and/or the device tree.

lenlope

Re: MPRLS Pressure Sensor question

Post by lenlope »

Thanks for the response! I think we have path forward on this to figure out how to configure it in PetaLinux, though at the same time, we will also look into including the CircuitPython library. If anything, that might also help us to troubleshoot the interface faster.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”