use PL011 UART and log on to linux over wifi simultaneously

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
garberw

use PL011 UART and log on to linux over wifi simultaneously

Post by garberw »

Here is what I am trying to do: log on to linux running on a raspberry pi zero 2 W. But I also want to use the "real" UART PL011 (NOT the mini uart) for RS485. On the arduino I had used previously I could use SoftwareSerial to get an extra serial port which worked reliably. I have to run the UART at 9600 baud 8 bit no parity 1 stop bit CRC. I suppose if the mini uart worked okay that would be acceptable but worse. The biggest problem is I keep reading "The bluetooth/wireless module is disabled when you enable the PL011" but no one says if the wifi specifically is disabled. I would try it but I am not sure how. I found https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... /uart.adoc. Also if the linux console was on the PL011 (pins GPIO14,GPIO15) could even log on at all or even brick the darn thing?

Is there some standard documentation I have not found yet? recommendation? thanx.

garberw

Re: use PL011 UART and log on to linux over wifi simultaneou

Post by garberw »

I have no interest in bluetooth but wifi is very important to me please!!!!

garberw

Post by garberw »

I tried it. Just do raspi-config then choose "interface" and "serial ports" and select "output shell messages on serial port = NO" and "use hardware serial port = YES".
Has no effect on logging on by wifi. Supposedly bluetooth should be blocked. Can still use usb keyboard and mouse. Can still ssh login over wifi.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The RasPi's WIFI is independent of the BLE radio. You can use WiFi while the Serial connection to the BLE radio is disabled.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”