Defective ESP32-S2 WROVER

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
basepr1me

Defective ESP32-S2 WROVER

Post by basepr1me »

Order Confirmation No: 2852148-5682399407

Hello,
I ordered an ESP32-S2, S3, and C3. I am unable to erase the S2 board with esptool.py, or erase the board using the esp-web-flasher, as recommended by your website. The erase process just hangs. Sometimes, when I try to erase using esptool, the LED program will start and the serial console outputs the colours as expected. Typically, the console will simply output "invalid header: 0xffffff0f" repeatedly and never start the colour program. When in boot loader mode, I can't even write to the device.

Happily, the S3 and C3 work just fine, but I fear this S2 needs replaced.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tracey

tepalia02

Re: Defective ESP32-S2 WROVER

Post by tepalia02 »

For this time being you can try this troubleshooting guideline: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... leshooting

If nothing works, then it's a bad board.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

The thing simply won't go into a proper bootloader mode. Nothing comes up on the serial screen. I've even tried resetting using my buspirate. No joy. :(

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

Different ESP32-S2 based boards will go into bootloader mode in different ways.

I know of at least 8 different ESP32-S2 based boards off the top of my head.

Which specific one are you having a problem with?

And what procedure are you using?

For example, the Unexpected Maker FeatherS2 goes into bootloader mode by pressing the reset button, then while the NeoPixel is lit purple, press the boot button.

If it's the Espressif ESP32-S2-Saola-1 you hold down the boot button, press the reset button, and let go of the boot button.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Saola. Done it multiple times exactly as you've described. This is not my first rodeo. Thanks though. I appreciate your thoughts. I guess the forum doesn't actually get an rma for defection. Too bad. Moving my business elsewhere. Peace be amongst you all. I'm out.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

Nobody from Adafruit has chimed in yet, if you're on Discord go there and ask someone from Adafruit support to look at this thread.

It does sound like it's defective, but in order to get a replacement you need to have an Adafruit support person authorize it.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Understand that. I'm still out. Not going to beg for a replacement board. Oh well. I'll support elsewhere. I shouldn't have to look that hard. Moving on. Have a great night.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

There aren't any ideas on what might be the trouble or how to fix it so let's replace it and see if it fixes it. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and they will get you a new one and let's hope it will work this time.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Thank you.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Thank you. The replacement board flashes without error! Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

For anyone else who might experience this problem, here is the solution. I ran across this post: https://www.esp32.com/viewtopic.php?t=23121

The foam that comes from Adafruit is conductive (I'll test continuity when I have a tester later). This is the first ESP32 I've purchased that had conductive foam and have always left the foam on. So, if you order the S2 from Adafruit, take it off the foam. I guess I just got repeatedly lucky when flashing the new board, because I did not remove it from the foam either.

So, Adafruit, I owe you some money. The original board is NOT defective. Please send me a link to pay for the replacement board.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thank you for getting back to us. I will let the others know what you found. Go ahead and keep the board, you deserve it.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Too kind. Thank you.

basepr1me

Post by basepr1me »

Wow, also for the sake of posterity. Here is the resistance of the foam. It's a mere 2.92k ohms. I'd say highly conductive hahah.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yep.. all static dissipative materials are conductive. That's how they prevent unsafe voltage buildup from one point to another.

We use foam like that to make primitive force-sensitive resistors:

https://learn.adafruit.com/firewalker-l ... ep-sensors

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”