Raspberry Pi 4 - No ACT light

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xanos

Raspberry Pi 4 - No ACT light

Post by xanos »

So I've already posted on the Raspberry Pi forums but did not receive any replies.
I have a Pi 4 - 2 gb that I got from Adafruit 2 weeks ago that is now not showing any activity. I was in the process of connecting the Pi to an Ender 3 printer when it stopped booting. I had tested Octoprint booted, then issued a shutdown, unplugged and took it downstairs to plug into the printer. When I plugged it in it never came back up.

I've only used the official 5.1V 3A Pi Power Supply on the board so it is not an issue of power.

I've gone through EEPROM recovery. After flashing an SD card and trying to boot with nothing else but power plugged in but the ACT light still never lit up. I tried a second SD card flashed for EEPROM recovery just to be safe but no dice.

Is there anything I could be missing or is the board dead?

dastels

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 - No ACT light

Post by dastels »

My thought is that during the disassembly/travel/reassembly process it got zapped with some static. Pis are very susceptible to that. Working with the exposed GPIO connections is akin to brain surgery. One slip and ...

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

That said, there are several articles in troubleshooting Pis. Start by have a look at https://support.thepihut.com/hc/en-us/a ... -is-faulty.

Dave

xanos

Post by xanos »

I had it in the Flirc Aluminum Case the whole time so the GPIO were safe.

I've tried a few SD cards with a few different images loaded. I have a good 8gb Pi 4 that I used to cross-test the cards on and know the image was good. The 8gb would boot them fine but the 2gb only gave the red light on all the cards.

I've been through the booting problems sticky on the Raspberry Pi forums (https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=58151). With no ACT light at all the only things that seem relevant are the power supply and EEPROM. I've only used the official Pi power supply so it's not that. I followed the instructions to update the bootloader but the ACT light never came on after leaving the imaged card in for much longer than the 10 seconds required. I also tried imaging the bootloader update on a USB stick just to make sure but got the same results.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Check the voltages on the 3.3V and 5V GPIO pins. Those can sometimes show information related to a hardware failure.

xanos

Post by xanos »

Both 5v seem good but neither 3.3v is giving anything.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That sounds like the CPU or something in that power domain has failed.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a refund. We can't do replacements right now because of supply constraints.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”