defective 2" lcds

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Park0721

defective 2" lcds

Post by Park0721 »

Shipment Notification
Purchase Order Number : 24150933
Invoice Number : 68452853
Contact Name : BEN MIKUS
Order Date : JAN 13, 2022
Ship Date : JUN 16, 2022
Estimated Arrival Date : JUN 21, 2022
Customer Number : 60AB07F

line number 485911

After waiting about 6 months, I was pumped to finally finish my night vision goggle project. I pull out the LCDs, carefully solder red to red, black to black, and white to yellow (yellow is video output of my foxeer nightcat 3s) I then daisy chained all four together, when I wire it into a 6v output the back of each board popped, one or both transistors exploded on all four boards and now I am getting no video signal, just a white screen, and in some cases nothing at all/
I did everything I was supposed to. I am very distraught over this as I have put dozens of hours of work into this project and after multiple emails to support, and a 6 month waiting period for my product, they arrive and don't work. I have photos if neccesary.

Park0721

tepalia02

Re: defective 2" lcds

Post by tepalia02 »

Oh. Very sad. Hope you'll get a replacement soon.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post photos of your setup.

Did you test the displays individually before chaining them all together and wiring them into your project?

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

Yes I did, and they worked for a short period of time about 20s before all shutting off (daisy chained)how can I upload a video to here.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

https://youtu.be/OQJSq2AsAQ4 here is a link to the video

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

when I say six volts, I mean for each individual camera I made sure to use a resistor and apply appropriate voltage to them while the four were daisy chained. each read to me 6v on the multimeter. they were receiving minimum power requirement and transistors popped and boards began to smoke

argonblue

Post by argonblue »

when I say six volts, I mean for each individual camera I made sure to use a resistor and apply appropriate voltage to them while the four were daisy chained. each read to me 6v on the multimeter. they were receiving minimum power requirement and transistors popped and boards began to smoke
Can you draw a diagram of how you hooked up this arrangement of resistors, and how exactly the power was "daisy chained"? What was the output voltage of the power supply that you hooked to the resistors?

adafruit_support_carter

Just to verify the displays being used, they are these?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/911

Can you provide more information about how you got the USB power bank to output 6V?
usb_power.jpg
usb_power.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 314 times
The video signal is mentioned as being on the yellow wire (see product page). You are connecting to the white wire:
disp1_wiring.jpg
disp1_wiring.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Also note that the RCA connector was originally connected to both the white and yellow wires:
rca_wiring.jpg
rca_wiring.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 314 times
For the 20 seconds they worked, you were seeing video output on the displays?

At the end of the video, you show something inside the helmet. Are those more of the same displays? Basically same thing as what was shown early on the table?

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

yes, the white wire is unnecessary. my wiring is correct. the LCD was hooked up to an 8.4v and I was giving it all an additional 6 volts. for about 6 volts to the camera and 6 volts to the lcd, its a number slightly over that for sure but I don't have a multimeter to check at the exact moment what it was, . for those 20 seconds, the cameras all worked perfectly. I was able to see on the displays and there were no issues. soon after though I heard multiple pops and all of the boards started smoking. a transistor has popped on the back. this was not a me issue, this was the boards not being able to handle 6 volts. I have a feeling that it wasn't enough power and it tried pulling too much current causing the thing to explode. either way, 6v was the minimum and it couldnt handle it for 20 seconds. I will try making an in detail video to my process and everything I did.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

as for the powerbank, when I did have access to a m ultimeter the bank gave out closer to 6 volts than 5, im guessing the descripion of the battery is not very accurate. it was like 5.9 volts or something

argonblue

Post by argonblue »

Did you measure 6V on the power wires while the cameras and screens were running? Or was that the unloaded (open circuit) voltage from the power bank? It's possible that the load current caused the voltage to drop below 6V, especially if the power bank has a 5V output regulator that has a minimum current draw.

What was the 8.4V power source that you used? And did any hardware fail while attached to it?

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

It was an 8.4 volt lipo stick battery, like an tc battery. Am when I measured it, the output was 5.9 whilenconbected to the big battery.

adafruit_support_carter

yes, the white wire is unnecessary. my wiring is correct.
You're connected to the white wire?
wire2.jpg
wire2.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 294 times

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

dear god. the white wire that is coming from the lcd is not needed. the white wire pictured is the video out cable from the camera, it is going into the LCD. [img][img][/img][/img]

here is a photo of the cameras on and working with the 8.4 volt battery, and the 6 volt battery off to the side. this was shortly before they stopped working.
Attachments
IMG_4977.jpg
IMG_4977.jpg (205.62 KiB) Viewed 286 times

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

I LIED, switch that around I am really sorry, the WHITE WIRe from the LCD is the only white wire there, becausse the one from the CAMERa is not needed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”