defective 2" lcds

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: defective 2" lcds

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

How many total camera / TFT assemblies are there?

At the end of the video, you show something not working on the helmet assembly. Are those the camera / TFT assemblies mentioned here?
soon after though I heard multiple pops and all of the boards started smoking.
And the two shown in the video removed from the helmet and being tested on the bench top are different?

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

After a few months this is still not been resolved. I can tell the company is waiting out the warranty so they don’t have to replace them. I would much appreciate any help that I can get

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The clock stops when you make your first post, so there's no such thing as "waiting out the warranty" for us.

We do debug and try to identify a cause of failure before approving replacements though, and it appears you didn't answer Carter's last set of questions.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

to answer the above question, no the two on the top are the exact same displays as the two that were shown inside the assembly, all four of the displays are blank when I send the proper voltage through them. the cameras used have been confirmed as working. I am in college now, so I unfortunately don't have access to the parts at the current moment, but when I drive back home I can send a video of the cameras working properly. The back of the lcd displays, on the board, there is a little white dot where a transistor has popped. I am sure this is not due to an issue in my wiring/the cameras. any ideas on what could have happened?

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

In addition, the cameras have a tolerance within that of the LCDs,and they are all working properly

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Park0721 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 pm The back of the lcd displays, on the board, there is a little white dot where a transistor has popped.
Post a photo of those when you have a chance. Blown components are an obvious hardware issue, but it's highly unusual to see multiple random failures happen the same way.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

hello, so sorry for the delay again. I just got into college and have been settling in. I will get photos as soon as I can, i can also show a video of the cameras working when hooked up to another source.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

https://youtu.be/OQJSq2AsAQ4

here is the link to the video showing the lcds not working, and as soon as i get home i can hook up the cameras to an external source.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

as you can see in the video, I was giving everything 6v of power which according to https://www.adafruit.com/product/911 is enough to power the lcds

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It's still not clear what is happening here, in terms of sequence of events, current state of hardware, etc. Could not see the blown components mentioned in the video. Some hardware seems to be powering up, others not. Lots of bare wires with power coming close to each other. Project build has lots of components and wires very tightly packed together.

It's not known exactly what is happening here. The same thing may happen to any replacements. We can refund these displays.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can refund you for the non-functioning LCD displays.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

I emailed them and they told my my warranty was now expired. Not only have I been lied to regarding the warranty being frozen, I am now out $200.

Park0721

Post by Park0721 »

Update: they gave me $160 in store credit, and now I must wait for the products to come back in stock again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”