TLP5110 time control

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Den1

TLP5110 time control

Post by Den1 »

Hi,
the description for TLP5110 says you adjust the turn on time by turning the pot. Then it says if doesn't receive enable in the spoecified time it will turn off. How do you set the turn OFF time if there is only one pot? Also, if hittin the switch once turns poer on, will pressing a second time turn it back off?

dastels

Re: TLP5110 time control

Post by dastels »

The trim pot (or resistor if you replace the pot) sets the time from being turned off via DONE to turning back on. Call that T.

If it's turned on, you turn it off using DONE. If it doesn't get the turn off signal on DONE within time T - 50mS, it will turn off for 50mS before the timer turns it on again.

The switch (which shorts DELAY to ground, effectively overriding the timing resistor) turns it on. DONE turns it off (unless it times out as described above). Pressing the button again once it is on is ignored.

When you say enable, I think you mean DONE.

All the information is in the datasheet: https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... pl5110.pdf

Dave

Den1

Post by Den1 »

I don't need it to turn on, I need to turn it on by pushing a switch, and turn off, by either timing out, or pushing the switch again. Can this be easily configured to do that? Or is there another device better suited for that task?

dastels

Post by dastels »

You'll need something different. There are multiple ways you could do this, depending on what it's to be used for. If you want to describe the project, it might bew possible to make some suggestions.

Dave

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

Take a look at the Pololu Power Switch. It seems to do exactly what you want.
https://www.pololu.com/category/121/pol ... r-switches

Den1

Post by Den1 »

Hi, The Pololu would require a seprate timer to turn off, no? I'm only trying to drive an LED by pushing button to turn on, then either turn off by pushing again, or turning off after say 15secs, which ever occurs first.

dastels

Post by dastels »

You could always use a cheap/small microcontroller. Something like a Trinket or Gemma M0, or a QtPy.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”