Joystick xbee 802.15.4 to drive Syren Motor Controller
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Joystick xbee 802.15.4 to drive Syren Motor Controller

by klamberth on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm trying to drive a Syren Motor Controller with the xbee 802.15.4 modules. The syren Motor Controller is capable of multiple operation modes including R/C Auto Calibrate mode. In my mind this would be simple as I had already connected a RC remote that does PWM and this worked beautifully. Now I simply needed 2 x 802.15.4 xbee modules. Plug in my industrial analog joystick to the xbee to go to digital PWM and hook up to my motor controller. I called Digi and this kind of stumped them as to if this should work or not. They though I might need to interface with a microcontroller as the PWM pulse is only 64 ms long and way too short for the motor driver hardware. I'm posting the pdf to the motor driver hardware. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/product ... n10-25.pdf

For a complete look at the project i'm trying to do please take a look at the attachment.
Attachments
wireless.JPG
Wireless Connect
wireless.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

klamberth

Re: Joystick xbee 802.15.4 to drive Syren Motor Controller

by franklin97355 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Could you be more specific on your connections and your xbee setup?

franklin97355

Re: Joystick xbee 802.15.4 to drive Syren Motor Controller

by klamberth on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 pm

The xbee setup is simply 2 x 802.15.4 Series 1 modules. I looked at doing both Analog to digital conversion as well as Converting the xbee to PWM to an analog voltage for Digital to Analog Conversion. After more research I have come to the decision that I will need a microcontroller. The pushbuttons can be done easily enough without a microcontroller. The joystick can possibly be done without a microncontroller but would take quite alot of tinkering with resister Inductor or Resister Capacitor. Also if your going to convert your PWM to analog voltage there are some issues with stepping the voltage back up. Even if I got it working there really isn't anyway to control the brightness of the LED lights with the Series1 modules without microcontroller. I'm thinking the new direction for this project is a arduino uno, motor shield, xbee 802.15.4 Series 2. If someone already has this setup or willing to assist me for some $$$ call me as I would like to save some time and late nights.

Kris Lamberth

klamberth

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.