Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Help getting data from a range finder
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help getting data from a range finder

by goteron on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 am

I am new to the board and new to arduino. After playing with it for a week or so, i have a good understanding of the basic functions.

I got started wanting to work on a specific project, this project involves pulling data from a Bushnell Laser Range finder.

I purchased the range finder and took it apart, inside I found what looks to be a serial connection (But I cannot be sure). I have tried everything I can think of to get data out of it, but am stuck.

Any help would be great. Here is a picture of the board. You press a button on the unit to fire the laser and range the target, if it gets a good range, the distance will be displayed in the range finder. I am trying to pull that range to use in a project. Serial data looks to be the contacts on the top side of the board labeled COM1.

Thanks

goteron

Re: Help getting data from a range finder

by zener on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 pm

I would look for the specs on the LASERTECH chip. It is probably sending the data to the processor. You need to know the format. This may be a fairly complicated matter.

zener

by goteron on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Zener,

Thanks for the response. I have contacted both Laser Technologies and Bushnell, neither would give me any information. It seems they have an interface for the serial connection. I have also tried getting data from the R/X connection and the chip, both to no avail. I was hoping they would be using some sort of standard.

Any other ideas?
goteron

by zener on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

You thought Bushnell would tell you? That is very optimistic... Lasertech I have no idea. Search around on the web and see if you can find anything on them. Here is something I found on the PN4305000 (you have the PN4305001 there)

"Applications
The TURBOTRANSCEIVER is designed for use in very high speed bus systems. The bus terminal characteristics of the TURBOTRANSCEIVER are referred to as Backplane Transceiver Logic (BTL). BTL is a new logic signaling stan- dard that has been developed to enhance the performance of backplane buses. BTL compatible transceivers feature low output capacitance drivers to minimize bus loading, a 1V nominal signal swing for reduced power consumption and receivers with precision thresholds for maximum noise im- munity. This new standard eliminates the settling time de- lays, that severely limit the TTL bus performance, to provide significantly higher bus transfer rates.

Features
The PN4305000(11775-501) and the PN4305000(11775-501) are 8-bit high per- formance single chip microcontroller. The PN4305000(11775-501) is the OTP version of the PN4305000(11775-501). Its single cycle in- struction and two-stage pipeline architecture make it suitable for high speed applications. The device is also

I don't know if that helps much...

zener

by goteron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 am

I was fairly certain Bushnell wouldnt know / wouldnt tell, but I thought Lasertech might as they built the entire unit. I might just have to find a range finder with a more simplistic way to get the data... Thanks for the help.
goteron

by eventhorizon on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:29 am

As long as the product is concerned, they wouldn't give out information like that. Especially when they know that you are reverse-engineering it. If that product is open source and they don't tell still, they probably don't really know it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of one hole, and into another.
eventhorizon

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 am

Reverse-engineering a communication link is a typically a lot easier if you can observe it in operation with a scope or logic analyzer. The device might require some command and/or hardware handshake before it even starts talking.

adafruit_support_bill

by goteron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Thats what I was thinking, except I have neither the equipment nor experience / time to pull it off.

Thanks for the help, ill pursue another option.

Are there any open source range finders with longer range capability? 200-300yds?
goteron

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.