IDEAL XBEE baudrate, ATRR, and ATRO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IDEAL XBEE baudrate, ATRR, and ATRO

by rizla420 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Background, im using a total of 9 xbees.

1.) Baudrate is set to 9600 on the xbee's and im using the arduino soft serial set to 9600.

2.) I have my PAN ID set to a non default number to ensure no rogue xbee's talk on my "channel"

3.) 1 xbee is the master, its pretty much listening to all the other nodes for data they are sending. its ATMY is set to 1, I did not set a specific ATDL, since if i need to i'd like it to talk to all the xbee's if needed.

4.) 8 xbee are data transmission nodes. All of them have an ATDL set to 1 to talk to only the master. They should NOT talk to each other. Each of them have a unique ATMY raning from 2 - 9.

So things are working fairly well in this setup for me. The nodes are very talkative and i have a feeling they're stepping on each other a little bit. So i want to tweak some of the radio paramaters. Given that, what are some good tweaks I should do?

Should I increase the baudrate from 9600 to 57600 or 115200 so that they send their data faster to prevent stepping on each other? Is there a down side to a higher baudrate? It seems like the higher the better..

I read that the default retry rate is 0 (so in a sense they act like UDP network packets). If i'd set a retry rate of 3, would that help to ensure the data gets there in case there was a "collission"

Lastly the max size string they send is about 40 ASCII characters (so 320 bytes?? send each time?). Should i set the ATRO to a higher number, not sure what the default size is.

Any tips from some xbee hardened vets?

rizla420

Re: IDEAL XBEE baudrate, ATRR, and ATRO

by Franklin97355 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 pm

I found this book a great read http://www.faludi.com/bwsn/ his website also has quite a bit of good info.

Franklin97355

Re: IDEAL XBEE baudrate, ATRR, and ATRO

by rizla420 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:26 pm

franklin97355 wrote:I found this book a great read http://www.faludi.com/bwsn/ his website also has quite a bit of good info.

Thanks Franklin, i'll put it on my amazon wishlist. Right now i'm looking for some quick tips, not ready to dive head first into understanding the xbee in and out. I know its a pretty powerfully little chip that I'm only using 1% of its capabilities.

rizla420

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.