Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Need advice on how to drive a VERY large flipdot
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Need advice on how to drive a VERY large flipdot

by twizted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Found the images and got those put back in place.... I'm still looking for the PDF's

twizted

by gutocarioca on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks, Twizted! Your look quite different to mine... Have you had any success controlling them?
And how about the contact you used to get hold of the PDF's back at Luminator, do you still have their email?

Thanks!
gutocarioca

by twizted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Unfortunately that would be a no to both questions... I never got around to doing much with it and its still setting in the basement gathering dust since I've not had time to mess with it but I've been keeping my eyes out for anyone else who might be making progress but alas, I've seen nothing.... I've tried finding the emails to try to get the PDFs from there but no luck... I'm going to have to look for those again at home later tonight.

twizted

by gutocarioca on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 am

Yeah, this does seem to be very tricky! I thought it would be enough to power the board using the 12volts it seems to need and then toggle signals on the other pins using a shift register and arduino (wrote a program that would try all different variations) but to no avail. I'm guessing that maybe I should be using a higher voltage? I did notice that the board has a capacitor that says "25v"...

I will definitely need some help on it, but running out of people to ask. Anyway, sent an email to the guys at Luminator, let's see if they get back to me with a manual or something.

Thanks again!
gutocarioca

by twizted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Found the -> IDS Operation Manual <- and got that re-uploaded... No dice on the "Product catalog" which was pretty useless anyway if memory serves...

twizted

by gutocarioca on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Hey, great manual, that's exactly what I need for mine! They haven't replied to me yet, though, let's see.
gutocarioca

by brucef on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 am

Wow, those things look like fun! Presumably the most flexible solution would be to talk over RS-485 to the Flip Dot Controller (FDC) board and skip the supervisory board with its fixed messages stored in EPROM; useful for a preprogrammed list of bus routes, but not so much for tweets or weather reports or what have you. The trick then is to figure out what the communication protocol looks like that the FDC is expecting. I don't know how you'd get that without either documentation from the manufacturer or some quality time spent with a logic analyser and an operating flip dot display.
- Bruce

brucef

by gutocarioca on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 am

Twizted wrote:Found the -> IDS Operation Manual <- and got that re-uploaded... No dice on the "Product catalog" which was pretty useless anyway if memory serves...

And I am still waiting on a reply from them. If I managed to get a manual like yours for my model it would sure help a lot...
gutocarioca

by gutocarioca on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:27 am

Guys, just thought I'd give you an update that I finally managed to write both the code and and the circuitry that would enable me to control my flip dot display. That was lots of fun (looking for more displays now)
gutocarioca

by tastewar on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 am

Cool! Is it documented anywhere?

tastewar

by gutocarioca on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 am

No, not yet, but will do it eventually...
gutocarioca

by twizted on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

gutocarioca wrote:No, not yet, but will do it eventually...

I'm highly interested in seeing what you've came up with.

twizted

by gutocarioca on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for the time it took to get back to this, but here's the code I used on the Arduino. I'll be documenting the circuit as well (just two shift registers and two Darlington arrays).

Hope this helps for the time being: https://github.com/aacarioca/FlipDotDisplayController
gutocarioca

by gutocarioca on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am

Hi, just added a few more files (circuit board and connector break down). Please have a look at the readme file on github.

Cheers
gutocarioca

by superyaniv on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 am

Just got my hands on a very similar flip dot sign. (Luminator GTI Max) 7x90. I'm excited to try to get it up and running!

gutocarioca wrote:Hi, just added a few more files (circuit board and connector break down). Please have a look at the readme file on github.

The sketch code is still up - which is very helpful! The link to the board design is broken - can you repost the board design?

Also, it would be great to see the project in action if you have a video...

If I make progress on communicating through the RS-485 I'll try to post my own results.
superyaniv

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.