Is this possible? Send keystrokes with USB...

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dam54

Is this possible? Send keystrokes with USB...

Post by dam54 »

Hello - I've been able to program an Atmega32u4 breakout board to send a set of keystrokes once after reboot. This was easy with the built in USB support. I now have two problems I'm trying to overcome, and I don't know if they are even possible. I am simply sending a password followed by the ENTER key. This works great if I'm sitting at the Windows login screen and press reset on the board. After a predefined amount of time, it enters the password and logs me in. What I need is to have the reboot of Windows 7 cause the board to reset so I don't have to press the button, as I will be in a remote location. Also, what I'm really trying to do is automatically enter a truecrypt bootloader password when the Windows 7 machine reboots. If you are connected remotely and have to reboot for some reason, it will stay stuck at the bootloader password screen. I thought it would be an interesting application of the Atmega32u4 to plug it into USB and have it automatically do that login for me after reboot. I'm not sure if it's even possible though. It seems like when I'm sitting at, say the F8 Boot screen, or some other window before it actually boots into Windows, doing the reset with the button does not cause the keystrokes to be received on the PC, even though you can send keys with a USB keyboard at that point. Any help, hints, suggestions, etc. will be much appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”