There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

Closing Contacts with Raspberry Pi - novice question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Closing Contacts with Raspberry Pi - novice question

by alfista on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi All,

I'm a long-time IT guy, but I don't have much of a background in electrical engineering beyond simple wiring. I've picked up a Raspberry Pi to tinker with and I have a project/challenge I'm excited about trying to solve.

I found an obscure AMS Alpha 216 LED sign from 1991 (Like BetaBrite) at a yard sale and it works great. It has a wired alphanumeric keypad for programming that connects via a 14 pin ribbon cable but programming it is somewhat painful. Specs on the pinouts are basically nonexistent. I'd like to be able to configure it for remote, WiFi programming.

I was figuring I could use the GPIO board to simulate keystrokes to the display and I have RPi and WiringPi installed and working and I'm not too worried about the coding side of things. I've also used a multimeter to identify the pin combinations that represent the different keystrokes from the keyboard.

Thus my question: I understand how to make a pin an output pin and send current to ground to complete a circuit but I can't figure out how to close a circuit between two pins where one is not a ground, essentially simulating the keystroke on the keypad. I am not sure if I need additional hardware to achieve this task but I'm having fun learning: old dog new tricks.

Can someone point me to a resource that might help?

If I've posted in the wrong forum or used the wrong terms I apologize in advance.

Cheers!

alfista

Re: Closing Contacts with Raspberry Pi - novice question

by zener on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am

Most straightforward way is use relays. Here is an example that turns on the relay when your IO pin goes high:

http://playground.arduino.cc/uploads/Le ... relays.pdf

zener

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.