Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Bluefruit EZ-Link & Teensy 3.1 & Lipo & Micro Lipo charger
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bluefruit EZ-Link & Teensy 3.1 & Lipo & Micro Lipo charger

by rootscript on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am

I want to power the EZ-Link bluetooth module via the JST socket on the back, with a Adafruit Lipo Battery 3.7v. I read some where that when I power the EZ from the JST socket, I can take a feed from the 3V pin to power something else.
3V - this is the 3.3V output from the onboard voltage regulator. If you power the module from the optional JST jack or Vin pin, and that voltage is 3.5V or higher, you can grab a nice regulated 3.3V up to 100mA from this pin
[Q1]I want to power the Teensy 3.1 from here (Do I need to 'switch' anything on the Teensy to run it from battery?)

I have the Adafruit Micro Lipo USB charger which has a JST socket to connect the Adafruit Lipo Battery 3.7v. I would like to be able to use the battery to power the Teensy, while at the same time charging it from the Micro Lipo USB charger (When needed). The charger can charge 3.7/4.2v batteries, and has 100mA charge current (adjustable to 500mA by soldering a jumper closed), It has one 2pin JST socket.
[Q2]How would I wire/connect this all up?

I guess the charger detects when the battery goes below a certain threshold, then charges it, when it goes above another threshold it stop charging it.
[Q3]Is it ok to leave it hooked up like this, or should I not rely on the 'threshold', and add a switch to disconnect the charger. :?

What I am trying to achieve is:
Power the Teensy from battery & program it over bluetooth using the EZ-Link. When the battery starts to run low, I would like to plug the project via the Adafruit Micro Lipo charger into a USB source, and when the light on the Micro Lipo charger turns green, I unplug from the USB source and continue running on battery. :)

rootscript

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link & Teensy 3.1 & Lipo & Micro Lipo charg

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:06 pm

You can't load-share with the Micro Lipo charger. You want this charger instead:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/259

Otherwise, you can power the Teensy from the EZ-Link by connecting to the 3.3V input (on the end of the board, next to GND and VBAT.

adafruit_support_rick

by rootscript on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Ok thanks for the advice Rick, I will order a new charger :)

On the new charger [Battery In] connect to the battery via JST & [Battery Out] plugs into the EZ-Link via JST.
Then from the EZ-Link I go from the 3V pin (below DTR), to the Teensy 3.3V pin (in between GND & VBat).
ez GND to t3 GND, ez RX to t3 TX, ez TX to t3 RX,
then ez DTR pin to t3 ?? (which pin?) :?

Also I forgot to ask, what the smallest battery that would be enough for the EZ-Link, a Teensy 3.1 and a few I2C sensors.
Am I ok to stick with the 3.7v 110mAh, or should I increase to the 150mAh or 500mAh (will they last for hours/days/ or weeks?)

Apologies, if this is all a bit basic.

rootscript

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:58 pm

You don't need to connect DTR.
The 110mAH will last for an hour or two, I expect. The 500mAH would last about 5 times as long.

adafruit_support_rick

by rootscript on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Thank you Rick

rootscript

by rootscript on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm

adafruit_support_rick wrote:You don't need to connect DTR.

Hello Rick,
I am using a Teensy 3.1, and have connected the RX & TX pins on a Adafruit Bluefruit EZ-Link (Bluetooth module) to Teensy pins 8(TX3) & 7(RX3). DSR & DTR on the EZ-Link are not connected to anything.
In the Arduino 1.0.5 IDE, I have selected the Serial Port: /dev/tty.AdafruitEZ-Link046f-SPP, and the USB Type: Serial.
I want to upload a sketch to the Teensy, but the IDE returns:
Please press the RESET BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch. Auto-reboot only works if the Teensy is running a previous sketch.
Having to press the button kind of defeats the purpose of programming the Teensy over bluetooth.

So I guess that I may still need the DTR to switch the Teensy into 'programming'/reset mode?
When the EZ-Link DTR pin is connected to an Arduino's RESET pin, what is the purpose of this connection (does it send a special signal)?

I am heading in the right direction with this?
(I have posted a Question over at the forum.pjrc.com - here is the link])
Thanks,
:)
Carlos

Hardware & Software setup: Teensy 3.1 - iMac13,2 Running OSX 10.8.5(12F45) - Arduino 1.0.5 - Teensyduino 1.18

rootscript

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:25 am

D'Oh! You're right - sorry. Connect EZ-Link DTR to a 1uF capacitor in series with the Teensy Reset (The cap is in series, so Reset goes to the capacitor +, and capacitor - goes to DTR).

DTR does send a special signal - it toggles the RST line, which will cause the Arduino bootloader to run.

I assume this will work with the Teensy, but I don't know for sure.

adafruit_support_rick

by cclavio on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:33 am

Hey Rootscript,

Were you able to figure out how to reprogram the Teensy 3.1 over bluetooth? Did Rick's advice help? I am trying to set up the same thing with a HC-06 bluetooth module but I haven't had any luck. As far as I can tell, someone would need to write a new bootloader for the teensy 3.1 that allowed reprogramming over bluetooth. Hopefully that is possible or has already been done and I haven't found it yet.

Thoughts?

cclavio

by rootscript on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:37 pm

cclavio wrote:Hey Rootscript,

Were you able to figure out how to reprogram the Teensy 3.1 over bluetooth? Did Rick's advice help? I am trying to set up the same thing with a HC-06 bluetooth module but I haven't had any luck. As far as I can tell, someone would need to write a new bootloader for the teensy 3.1 that allowed reprogramming over bluetooth. Hopefully that is possible or has already been done and I haven't found it yet.

Thoughts?

Hi cclavio,
I posted over at the pjrc forums too, maybe you can find the info you need over there:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25400-Question-Teensy-3-1-programming-over-Bluetooth-connected-to-pins-7-amp-8

rootscript

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.