Super Game Pi - 2 Joysticks & More Buttons
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Super Game Pi - 2 Joysticks & More Buttons

by Eleecho on Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Howdy,

Trying to build a Super Game Pi but I would like to have more buttons and an additional joystick.

Is it possible to accomplish this? Looking to have 2 joysticks, 4 directional buttons, ABXY, L1, L2, R1, R2 and Start Select. So 2 analog sticks, and 14 buttons.

Is there enough room on the RPi GPIO for the additional buttons and a second cupcade adapter? Would that even work? If not, any alternative methods for building the controls? Was considering the Teensy but I dont know much about AVR programming or where to begin with that.

Thanks

Eleecho

Re: Super Game Pi - 2 Joysticks & More Buttons

by pburgess on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 am

Since this project uses an HDMI display (not a PiTFT nor a Kippah) I think it'll work...there's TONS of GPIO on the A+/B+/Pi 2 header.

See header diagram here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/super-game-pi/wiring-buttons
Any green or purple pins are fair game (I count 22, which should be enough for 2 sticks + 14 buttons). The blue pins should be OK too. If you reallyreally need them, the orange ones can be used if you disable the serial console.

pburgess

by Eleecho on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:14 am

Ok cool.

Looks like there will be enough as long as the blue pins 2, 3 are good to use, and as you mentioned disable the serial code on pins 14,16. How would I go about doing that?

I forgot about Joystick R3 and L3 thumb click buttons, so it's technically 2 joys and 16 buttons. I need to reserve pins 7,8 for another device.

Will I need to power the second cupcade adpater from another 5v source? Or is the current low enough to power both from GPIO pin 2?

I mapped everything out below. Let me know if all that looks kosher ( with the assumption that I remap all the buttons ).

Eleecho

by pburgess on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:59 pm

Daaaaayum that's a lot of inputs. :)

I think it'll work. As long as you're not using I2C devices (some port expanders, etc.), then blue pins 2&3 are fair game as regular GPIO.

Disabling the serial console just involves editing a couple files. It's explained here:
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/raspberry-pi-serial-port
Once done, those two pins are available for I/O.

Second Cupcade adapter is fine on the same 5V pin, it only requires a teensy bit of power.

I don't foresee any trouble. But please let me know how it goes...I've never seen anyone max out the GPIO pins like that and I'm curious if retrogame handles it gracefully.

pburgess

by Eleecho on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:01 am

Lol, yeah it's a ton of inputs.

I decided to use a Teensy ++ 2.0 for all the inputs instead of the GPIO ports

I may just try to see if it can be done on the raspi later. But I think I am going to stick with this solution for now.

Eleecho

by Ruben90 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:14 am

Eleecho wrote:Howdy,

Trying to build a Super Game Pi but I would like to have more buttons and an additional joystick.

Is it possible to accomplish this? Looking to have 2 joysticks, 4 directional buttons, ABXY, L1, L2, R1, R2 and Start Select. So 2 analog sticks, and 14 buttons.

Is there enough room on the RPi GPIO for the additional buttons and a second cupcade adapter? Would that even work? If not, any alternative methods for building the controls? Was considering the Teensy but I dont know much about AVR programming or where to begin with that.

Thanks

Hey Eleecho,

I want to do the same like you, 2 Joysticks an more Buttons for my game pi projekt. Wich components did you use? Die you use the joysticks from adafruit? Or did you use a gamepad with all the buttons like logitech or ps&3& controller and connect it to the teensy? Im lokking for an diagramm on wich i can See how to connect the analog sticks and the buttoms correctly to the teensy, maybe someone could help?:).
Thanks alot for answering

Greetings

Ruben90

by Eleecho on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:08 pm

@Ruben90

Horribly late response. Only about 3 years late!

I actually side tabled this project simply because I felt like I lacked the know-how and tools necessary.

Waited long enough that I actually started working on it again. Got myself a 3D printer to make an enclosure and still would like to get a Co2 laser to be able to make some acrylic parts for that. But I'm rambling..

To answer your question, I've actually settled on a Teensy3.2 (I think a Teensy3.2LC would work too). It has enough digital and analog pins to get every button and joystick you'd need and then some. You'd basically build a USB controller with that device.

Curious what route you took! That is if you kept up with this project.

Regards,

Eleecho

Eleecho

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.