Newb.. With Questions

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Blue_Ice

Re: Newb.. With Questions

Post by Blue_Ice »

ok so def has something to do with grounds

not in the tank ground wire hooked direct to the board and readings are correct....

now problem is the sender bolts to the tank which is grounded to the frame... should I be grounding the board to the frame as well ?

i have wire goes from sender to the board ground. but nothing to the frame...

reading go crazy as soon as its dropped in the tank.

Blue_Ice

Post by Blue_Ice »

upon futher testing.. if i remove the ground from the board and the tank then the readings are correct.. is there such thing as too much grounding ? weird.. i tell ya this is really weird..

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can try grounding to the frame. But a direct connection would probably be better. Can't you run a ground wire along with the signal wire?

Blue_Ice

Post by Blue_Ice »

i have a ground ran along with the signal wire and when signal wire and direct to board ground are hooked up and the sender not in the tank it works great.

problem is as soon as i bolt in in the tank it picks up another ground from the frame and it instantly reads way off... ... no way to not ground it to the tank as it bolts in.

but i have gound from the frame side that passes thu the buck converted that powers the board.. its really strange..

pslotter

Post by pslotter »

I have a completly different question regarding the Viduino code. If I should post this elsewhere please let me know.
I built the controler using the guide here and it works great!
My application is mashing grains for beer and I have scaled up the business end to heat 10 gallons of water to the 150 range using a 1500w heater and a recirculating pump. I have run the auto tune several times and noting the results for different quantities and temps but I always end up overshooting by 5-9 degrees before it starts back down.
So... Does re-running autotune give me more accurate settings? and is there a piece of code I can insert to turn off the PID completly?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

@ pslotter - this thread is about motorcycle fuel gauges. I think you should start a new thread for your question.

Blue_Ice

Post by Blue_Ice »

adafruit_bill, Thanks for the reality check on the grounds and such. Seems to be sorted out now and things are working as they should.

Question on the Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates - Version 3. I se ein the locus logging that it saves distance, Is this available as somethgin that can be used on the fly for say updating a odometer. I have read as much as I can find and cant find reference to it. I know when using the GPS for speed it has to caclulates distance travelled to caculalte the speed.

any help?

adafruit_support_bill

See the locus_status example in the library. That gets the locus_status (including the distance) once per second from the GPS module.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_GP ... status.pde

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”