12 VDC 5 AMP Power Supply

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GK22

12 VDC 5 AMP Power Supply

Post by GK22 »

Hi,

I was looking at purchasing your 12VDC 5 AMP power supply for a project I am working on. It says it has the standard 2.1mm centertip connector. However, when I look on your website the only connection for this I see is the DC panel mount barrel plug. However this has a minimum rating of 0.5 amps. Any suggestions on what to use?

gilshultz

Re: 12 VDC 5 AMP Power Supply

Post by gilshultz »

You should be OK, it sounds like you will normally be over the minimum current. You might want to check the maximum rating, I think it will be in the range you need.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We also have a 2.1mm barrel jack rated for 5A: https://www.adafruit.com/products/373 and a barrel jack to terminal adapter which I've personally tested at 10A: https://www.adafruit.com/products/368 The adapter does get warm at that level, but remains at a safe working temperature in 25C ambient air.

GK22

Post by GK22 »

Thanks for the responses.

Mike - I guess I was hoping to get a panel mount one that was rated for at least 5 AMPs, but I could probably make the breadboard one work.

gilshultz - I know the panel mount one I referenced is rated at 0.5 AMPs max @12 Volts so it won't work with this power supply.

Thanks!

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

Thanks for the catch, I do not know the jack but I based it on his "minimum rating" where he should have stated "maximum".

GK22

Post by GK22 »

Yes, you are correct it is a maximum rating of 0.5 AMPs, I mistyped in my original thread and put minimum.

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

No problem, thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”