Arduino Uno, servo board 815, micro servo 169

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fred_dot_u

Arduino Uno, servo board 815, micro servo 169

Post by fred_dot_u »

My practice with building stuff is do it, fix it, make it work. For some things, that's just fine, especially if I have the correct raw materials in sufficient supply to make plenty of mistakes. For Arduino related projects, I'd prefer to get as much correct before beginning.

My research here leads me to believe that I should be able to make an Arduino Uno connect with the part 815 servo board to run four (or more) micro servos part 169. The question I have may be simple enough. It appears that 9v 1A power supply part 63 is correct to run the Uno based on supporting documentation. Will this same power supply provide power to the driver board and from there to the servos? For the purpose of this project, the four servos will be the maximum, but I would also be interested to learn how much additional capacity is available, if the power supply is sufficient.

If the above power supply is insufficient, would a second unit of the same model be attached to the servo driver board?

thanks

fred

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Arduino Uno, servo board 815, micro servo 169

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

fred_dot_u wrote:I should be able to make an Arduino Uno connect with the part 815 servo board to run four (or more) micro servos part 169.
Yep.
fred_dot_u wrote:Will this same power supply provide power to the driver board and from there to the servos?
Maybe.

Motors are current hogs, and servos are no exception. The exact amount of current a motor wants changes depending on about half a dozen things, so it's easier to measure and plan from there.

The mini servos can use a few hundred milliamps, so trying to run four and the Arduino from a 1A supply is iffy. Your best bet would be to start with a separate power supply and connect it to the Servo Controller's terminal blocks through an ammeter. Run one servo and see how much current it takes, then add a second if it looks like there's enough spare juice, etc.

fred_dot_u

Post by fred_dot_u »

Thank you for the confirmation of the selected components. Part of this project requires to "spec out" the components to be ordered well in advance of the assembly, so I'm hopeful to determine requirements prior to having the equipment in hand. It's for a summer educational project for which I have little experience, and yet have to develop that experience with hands-on construction. I'm hoping to avoid my usual experimentation-to-failure method for this project.

If one uses the power terminal points on the servo controller board, does that isolate it from the Uno power? If so, it appears that part 276 (5v 2A) power supply should provide enough current, allowing for 0.5A per servo. Would there be a conflict when using power supply part 63 (9v 1A) connected to the Uno?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yes. The terminal blocks at the top of the Servo Controller provide power to the servos, and are completely independent of the Uno's power supply.

Read through the tutorial linked from the product page though. You have to be a little careful with the pin connections to the Arduino if you use an external servo power supply.

Sanjeevkumar

Post by Sanjeevkumar »

Can I have the schematic for Servo board 815(Reference schematic of PCA9685) Board.

Thanks,
Sanjeev kumar

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Complete CAD files in Eagle format are here in github: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-16 ... Driver-PCB
EagleCAD is a free download.

Sanjeevkumar

Post by Sanjeevkumar »

Thank you for lightning quick reply.

Regards,
Sanjeev Kumar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”