Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Problems making a Pigrrl 2 with Raspberry Pi 3 inside.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problems making a Pigrrl 2 with Raspberry Pi 3 inside.

by mrdude42 on Sun May 01, 2016 8:10 pm

2 problems so far:

1. I have no idea how to get the Gamepad PCB buttons working. The guide says to use the image provided but only works on Pi 2 and I'm using a Pi 3. So if I have to manually build my own image of Retropie how do I set up the Gamepad buttons with the PCB? It's put together just like the PiGrrl 2 instructions say with the Ribbon cable going from the Gamepad PCB to the PiTFT Plus and then the TFT is plugged into the RaspberryPi 3.

2. Some trouble with 2.8" Resistive PiTFT plus not working. It works if I install the Raspian Jessie but then when I try to manually install Retropie and Emulation Station, I can get to command line on TFT screen but if I try to run ./emulationstation the screen goes black with only a cursor in the top left of the TFT screen.

The screen in question is this one: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2298
The guide I used to put it all together is this one: https://learn.adafruit.com/pigrrl-2/overview

Please help! This is my first build so I'm definitely a noob but I've been researching all over the place and haven't been able to figure out these 2 things still.

mrdude42

Re: Problems making a Pigrrl 2 with Raspberry Pi 3 inside.

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 am

The PiGrrl image doesn't work on the Pi3. There's too much new hardware that the OS doesn't know about.

The developers for the PiGrrl project are working on an OS image that will work on a Pi3, but there's no ETA.

adafruit_support_mike

by mrdude42 on Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am

Yeah I know it doesn't work which is why I'm trying to make my own image but there's no info on how to program the buttons without just using their image. So now I built this Pigrrl 2 with a Pi 3and everything works except the buttons… :(

It would be nice if there was more info about the gamepad pcb too. Like maybe a chart for which pins the buttons are mapped to would be pretty useful.

mrdude42

by amccarthy on Sun May 08, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm with mrdude42 - did the same thing. Built the Pigrrl 2 with a Pi 3 :( Would love to get a date as to when an updated image would be available. Would also be nice if the guide made mention that it's not recommended to use a Pi 3. Just a thought.

amccarthy

by mrdude42 on Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm

I got the buttons to work. You can find the info about it here: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... 9831_46840

For some reason my "UP" and "Y" button aren't working so I think those may be a hardware issue. Gonna open it up and check my soldering job on those but the rest of the buttons are working now!

mrdude42

by wolfhawk on Sat May 14, 2016 11:20 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The PiGrrl image doesn't work on the Pi3. There's too much new hardware that the OS doesn't know about.

The developers for the PiGrrl project are working on an OS image that will work on a Pi3, but there's no ETA.

Today I finished building a pigrrl 2 with a raspberry pi 3... It all works fine. The tft, the buttons, all. I didn't use the image that you provide but I have retropie 3.6 inside and made the changes on the configuration there.

wolfhawk

by mrdude42 on Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 am

What configuration did you use to make it work with the rasp pi 3?

mrdude42

by wolfhawk on Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 am

mrdude42 wrote:What configuration did you use to make it work with the rasp pi 3?

I've just inserted my micro sd that I've been using the past month to play games on my tv. With Retropie 3.6 from Retropie (I see that 3.7 has been released) and this Gamepad. The second one was the most helpful because before I apply all that, all I could get was a white screen.

I used ApplePi-Baker to burn the retropie image on my SD and I didn't use as I said the one that adafruit is proposing at the project's link.

wolfhawk

by martinchris6611 on Tue May 31, 2016 12:23 pm

I tried following those steps, but the step where it says to "Enable Device Tree" that option is not there in my advanced options menu. I am using a rpi3 with retropie v3.8 if somebody could help that would be great. What I really need is to get my pigrrl2 working so my 2.8: pitft plus screen is the problem. The furthest I got it to do was just display a white screen (not very far I know).

martinchris6611

by stoff88 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Same here!

I have successfully installed Retropie 3,7 and followed this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/running-open ... itft-setup

Today i was tryin to upgrade/reinstall everything with the new Retropie 3.8,
i followed the same guide, but it is not working, only white screen, i have tried 5 times, everything set up right.

Anybody got some workaround?

stoff88

by martinchris6611 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:10 pm

I ended up just reverting to retropie v3.6 and I got the screen to work however now I have another problem. The GPIO buttons work whenever you are on the emulation station menus choosing a game but when you start any game from any system, the buttons don't work, none of them. I have to plug in a usb controller in order to exit the game and then the GPIO buttons work again on the menus. If somebody could direct me with a fix that would be great.

martinchris6611

by mdcrews5 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 am

I've followed everyone's advice on her thus far. Here is my issue, I hope someone can help.

Power is good to the Raspberry Pi3 (red and green lights) and the back of the PitFit is hot so I assume power is getting to it as well but PitFit won't turn on. Just a black screen. It's never gotten to white. I've tried going into config, like everyone else but I don't see "Enable Device Tree" either. Running the latest retropie from the site. Kinda stumped at this point.

Any suggestions?

mdcrews5

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.