๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

How to remove diode from boarduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How to remove diode from boarduino

by rizla420 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37 pm

So i screwed up the boarduino becuase i put the first diode in backwards. Didnt realize it until I made it to the point where I had to test the initial led. I checked everything until i realized it was the diode. I tried to desolder it and use the sucker, but it still wouldnt come undone.. i got angry and just cut the diode off. Now the problem is that the holes are pluged with solder and the cut piece of the leads. I've been trying for 15 minutes to try and loosen the solder inside the hole but it doesnt seem to be coming undone. How should i poke these out without damaging the board any further?

rizla420

Re: How to remove diode from boarduino

by rizla420 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Well i got it out, had to poke it hard.. dont think there was too much damage done. Now i'm out of a diode.. ug. I wonder if the rat shack has them.

rizla420

by eil on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:52 am

D1 just looks like a bog-standard power diode. RatShack will definitely have them. (No guarantees on a great deal or if they'll actually have them in stock.)
eil

by franklin97355 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Sounds like you don't have enough heat (wattage) in your iron.

franklin97355

by rizla420 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Its a weller WES51 ($100 bucks), i think it should be plenty adequate. I had it set to 70. Maybe its cuz im using a very fine tip pen and the tip doesnt get as hot as it should. I was burning the pcb a little waiting for the solder to melt. Not good i know..

rizla420

by magician13134 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:19 pm

First use a solder sucker to get all the solder off that you can. Then hold one end of the lead with pliers, then heat the component on the other side while twisting with the pliers. It's good to have a vice or helping hand hold your board. If the hole is plugged with solder, here's a nifty trick I learned on these forums (don't know what I'd do without it). You stick the soldering iron tip in the hole then immediately drop/(gently) toss it flat onto a table top. The solder will just pop out.
And I have the same iron, if you don't need to save the component just go all the way to 850, nothing to lose at that point (but 750 SHOULD be plenty enough)
magician13134

by Tcepsa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Whenever my soldering iron fails to melt solder it is almost always because I haven't kept the iron properly tinned.
"If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans." --Desiderata, by Max Ehrmann
Tcepsa

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.