Stepping up the Bike Light
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Stepping up the Bike Light

by magician13134 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Hey everyone, I've been looking into making my own "flashlight" for a little while (I've started to become very obsessed with them lately). I don't want it to really be practical or useful, 10 minutes run-time would be time, I just want it to make people (even me) go "WOW!". I was looking around and saw a nice 12V/50W Halogen at RadioShack for $6. I then found a pretty decent-looking power supply on eBay: 12V, 6500mAh
Then I realized that I have no idea what the circuit is doing. I know it's limiting the current. But I want it the halogen to get 4+ Amps to get all 50W out of it. It says that Li-Ions "dislike giving burst charges", does this mean they won't or they just won't last long doing it? What would I need to update in the circuit to accommodate the new power requirements?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated, thanks.
magician13134

Re: Stepping up the Bike Light

by Amberwolf on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:39 am

Just remember, despite the 6500mAh rating, you won't get 6500mA for an hour, and the higher the discharge rate from a battery the more likely it is to wear it out faster than normal.

It might work for a short time, as long as that battery is rated to discharge at a high enough percentage of it's capacity. The ebay page doesn't specify anything other than voltage and capacity, so there's no way to know this for sure.
Watch me build an electric bike from assorted junk!
Alternative Energy Sources for the Home from Recycled Junk
A subsidiary of Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated:
"We Bring Dead Things To Life"
Amberwolf

by magician13134 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 am

Right, right. But I'm hoping to get about 4000mA for 30 minutes, who knows, it may not work. Will the circuit provided be able to handle those currents, though?
magician13134

by oPossum on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 am

The flashlight experts are at CandlePower Forums. They can tell you what works and what doesn't.
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by magician13134 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:40 pm

oPossum wrote:The flashlight experts are at CandlePower Forums. They can tell you what works and what doesn't.
I'm a member there, but I was too intimidated to ask :(
Everyone there knows SO much more than me (since it's entirely flashlights) and they aren't afraid to remind me of that, at least here I can keep up with the electronics.
magician13134

by oPossum on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:44 pm

magician13134 wrote:I then found a pretty decent-looking power supply on eBay: 12V, 6500mAh
Then I realized that I have no idea what the circuit is doing. I know it's limiting the current. But I want it the halogen to get 4+ Amps to get all 50W out of it.

I wouldn't get that because there aren't any useful specs for the cells, protection, or charging circuit. The wire looks like it is a low current coaxial cable that has a very small (#24 or higher) center lead - not good for high current.

A couple 7.2 V RC battery packs in series would provide plenty of current. NiCd batteries will tolerate deep discharge without significant damage and charging them is much simpler than Li-Ion.
Not a "high tech" solution and lower energy density, but safer than most Li chemistry. There are many examples of what can happen with Li batteries at CandlePower forums.
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by magician13134 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Hmm... I guess I'll need another use for a 12V battery then ;)

Thanks
magician13134

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.