Distance Measuring Lasers

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stokos

Distance Measuring Lasers

Post by stokos »

I am trying to solve a warehouse difficulty we have been having involving stocking product with our forklifts. I need a device that can be attached to the outside of a forklift arm, and transmit a horizontal distance back up to a screen near the operator, either via a Raspberry Pi or siimply direct to an LED screen. Preferably, it would work as a wireless device, to eliminate the problem of wiring. Does anyone know of anything that might fit my needs? I don't need anything very sensitive, but it needs to measure about four feet.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Distance Measuring Lasers

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd take a look at the Sharp IR or the Maxbotix Ultrasonic rangefinders. Either will work in that distance range. One of the smaller WiFi enabled processors such as the Huzzah would be a good wireless option for transmitting the data.

stokos

Post by stokos »

Are there sonic detectors that could hook up to a blue tooth? That would make it easily compatible to the Raspberry Pi

zener

Post by zener »

One problem with wireless is you still have to power the sensor. If you can wire it you might use something like this:

http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/o1d-bro.htm

adafruit_support_bill

None with direct Bluetooth ouput. You could interface it using one of these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2829

adafruit_support_bill

Zener's point about powering the sensor is valid. There are USB versions of the Maxbotix sensors. You could use one cable for both power and data.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”