Adabox 021 MEMENTO

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dancline

Adabox 021 MEMENTO

Post by dancline »

My Adabox 021 arrived today, and the MEMENTO camera is assembled. Congratulations on a great new camera to restart the Adabox line! I'm really looking forward to programming this thing and putting it through its paces. It's been a long wait for a new Adabox, but you've made it worth it. Bravo!

adafruit2

Re: Adabox 021 MEMENTO

Post by adafruit2 »

thank you ... it has been quite a journey! we hope to have more boxes ready for the remaining of the year :)

osunderdog

Post by osunderdog »

I think I may have bricked my Memento.
Can you please suggest a forum where I can ask some questions on how to recover?

Summary:
Solid green
Does not respond to reset button.
Does not show device on osx. (It did at one point in my attempt to get circuit python setup.)

Tried using "CircuitPython 9.0.0-beta.0" steps here https://circuitpython.org/board/adafrui ... s3_camera/ Using the 'Open Installer' button, but I think it hung while downloading.
At that time I did have /dev/tty.usbmodem1101 device, but now I can't get it back. Just solid green light

Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank You!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

try the factory reset procedure. its very very hard to brick an ESP32-S3 chip (there's a built in ROM loader)

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mem ... tory-reset

osunderdog

Post by osunderdog »

I think I had done this, but this time I got the /dev/tty.usb... device. Whew!

I'm back on track. Thank you. Thank you.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

awesome good work getting it back :) you can always factory reset!

NavyJetFixer

Post by NavyJetFixer »

Trying to add Circuit Python. Dropped the file to 'adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_esp32s3_camera-en_US-9.0.0-beta.0.uf2' to CAMERABOOT and copying starts. At 98% the copying fails. The Memento tries to boot into circuitpython messages are:

Running in safe mode due to CP core code crash. Hard fault: memory access or instruction error. Unit in constant reboot loop. Resetting does not exit safe mode.

Windows 11 with data USB cable connected directly to USB port on computer.

ejb

Post by ejb »

osunderdog wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:51 am I think I may have bricked my Memento.
Can you please suggest a forum where I can ask some questions on how to recover?

Summary:
Solid green
Does not respond to reset button.
Does not show device on osx. (It did at one point in my attempt to get circuit python setup.)

Tried using "CircuitPython 9.0.0-beta.0" steps here https://circuitpython.org/board/adafrui ... s3_camera/ Using the 'Open Installer' button, but I think it hung while downloading.
At that time I did have /dev/tty.usbmodem1101 device, but now I can't get it back. Just solid green light

Any direction would be appreciated.
Thank You!
I got my Adabox 021 Memento kit a few days ago. Today I put it into action. I also thought something had gone terribly wrong. I'm running Sonoma 14.2.1 on my MacBook Pro. I'm getting the idea that the MacOS is kind of glitchy with CircuitPy. The CircuitPy Drive simply would not show up on my desktop. I followed the instructions for installing CircuitPython and with much twiddling of the reset button I finally got the CAMERABOOT drive to appear. I dropped the latest adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_esp32s3_camera-en_US-9.0.0-beta.1.uf2 into the drive. After that the CircuitPy drive finally showed up on my Desktop and I dropped in the libraries and code for the Fancy Camera onto the drive. All Good! It's working like a charm. The Adafruit troubleshooting guide suggest using a set of terminal commands to overcome some sort of problem with MacOS but I didn't find that to be necessary.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

there's definitely some issues with Mac Sonoma :(
https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues/8449
we think they've fixed it in latest beta but then it became slow to copy. the boards work fine, but Mac is being naughty

jonwa

Post by jonwa »

Is there documentation for the pre-installed demo software?
I'm trying to figure out what it does and how to use it.
The only thing that seems to happen is slight color shifting with right and left arrows.
Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its a factory test demo and isn't fully featured, we put it on just so folks can verify it turns on, you should run the much-better circuitpython camera code :)

overlord73978

Post by overlord73978 »

Which we can find where?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

BIS_Bro2

Post by BIS_Bro2 »

So the default load just checks for power on and display and camera operation (plus minimal switch operation)?
Just checking; this was the first Adabox my son was interested in and it wouldn't take a picture.

Not a big problem but if that's the case, you might want to mention it on the Adabox021 page to let people know what exactly to expect when they first power on and to get full functionality to take pictures etc, you need to load the CircuitPython example.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yep we are writing some quickstart guides, you CAN take photos with the factory test
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... t.ino#L185
if an SD card is inserted, but it isnt as customizable

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”