Bluefruit Playground Stays in Bootloader?

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danielf23

Bluefruit Playground Stays in Bootloader?

Post by danielf23 »

Hi my Bluefruit Playground bootloader firmware was 0.4.0 and I wanted to update it, i have a Mac and I guess there is a problem writing to boards with newer MacOS? when I tried to copy over the new UF2 file it gave me an error and the firmware stayed at 0.4.0 according to INFO_UF2.TXT.

Also I couldn't get it to come out of the bootloader anymore, it just immediately goes into all green LEDs and shows me the CPLAYBTBOOT drive even if i hit the reset button or double click it or whatever.

A little research later I discovered I had to chant an incantation over the Mac for writing to a board:

Code: Select all

_cplay=$(df|grep CPLAY|cut -d" " -f1)
sudo umount /Volumes/CPLAYBTBOOT
sudo mkdir /Volumes/CPLAYBTBOOT
sudo mount -v -o noasync -t msdos $_cplay /Volumes/CPLAYBTBOOT
cp ~/Downloads/update-circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.8.2_nosd.uf2 /Volumes/CPLAYBTBOOT
following this, now the INFO_UF2.TXT reports that I am running firmware version 0.8.2! so something worked but my board is still just booting directly into the bootloader no matter what I do, and I can't get back into python.

Any ideas how to fix this?

mikeysklar

Re: Bluefruit Playground Stays in Bootloader?

Post by mikeysklar »

When you drop a CircuitPython image on the BOOT drive does it update? Do you have another machine (Raspberry Pi or older MacOS or Win) you can try?

danielf23

Post by danielf23 »

thanks, Mike, yes that works when I load the latest CircuitPython UF2 onto the board using my incantations.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Nice. Thank you for the follow-up. Happy hacking.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”