Conductive Rubber sheet change when wet?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AlanWx

Conductive Rubber sheet change when wet?

Post by AlanWx »

I want to construct a rainfall intensity meter using the Conductive Rubber Sheet / Stretch Sensor- 200mm x 200mm x 1mm (Product ID: 5463). I am interested in experimenting with the sheets to see whether different intensities of rainfall can be registered and recorded. But, I would like to know whether the conductivity of the sheets depends only upon the stretching of the rubber material or whether it also would depend upon whether the surface of the sheets is getting wet. If it was the latter, the obviously this would not work for what I was wanting to experiment with. Does anyone have experience with this material in this regard? Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Conductive Rubber sheet change when wet?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Pure distilled water is non-conductive and would not affect the resistance. But most water has some impurities, so it at least somewhat conductive. Indeed, many rain sensors use this fact to detect rain.

I suspect that an accelerometer might be a better sensor for what you want to do. You could attach it to a surface and measure the intensity and frequency of impacts from the raindrops.

AlanWx

Post by AlanWx »

Thank you for the response. Using an accelerometer (maybe attaching it to this rubber) would be a great idea! It certainly would pick up the motion of the rain falling on the rubber.
I will give it a try. Thank you again!

millercommamatt

Post by millercommamatt »

This is certainly an interesting approach for making and impact disdrometer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”