Unable to get CIRCUITPY drive

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pweaver

Unable to get CIRCUITPY drive

Post by pweaver »

My TUF DASH ASUS laptop has all the files and updates for Circuit Playground Bluefruit.

As the previous member mentioned in March, 2024, I also Downloaded Circuit Playground Express Bluefruit UF2 file from the Adafruit website.

With a brand new CPBluefruit board, I downloaded and installeD Circuit Python version 9, and the Library bundle and the uf2 file.

Then I entered Bootloader Mode: Made sure Circuit Playground Express Bluefruit is in bootloader mode prior to upload the UF2 file. The bootloader mode, press the reset button (the small black button in the center of the board) twice in quick succession. The onboard NeoPixels turned green, indicating ready to accept a new program.

The CPBluefruit NeoPixels turned red, and the tiny Led flashed red for about 2minutes. Then it closed and a few minutes later all the NeoPixels turned bright blue and never opened the CIRCUITPY drive. After about 10 minutes all the NeoPixels turned bright yellow and then the board shut down.

I tried also Reset Circuit Playground Express Bluefruit: by unplugging it from power and plugging it back in. Never able to get the CIRCUITPY drive.

I tried this again on 3 other brand new CPBluefruit boards. Never able to get the CIRCUITPY drive.

Can you kindly help me?

dastels

Re: Unable to get CIRCUITPY drive

Post by dastels »

I downloaded and installeD Circuit Python version 9, and the Library bundle and the uf2 file.
I'm wondering about the "and the UF2 file" part of that. What UF2 file? You said you'd started by installing CircuitPython.

Dave

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

Hello Dave,
Each time I plug in the CPBluefruit, the CPLAYBOOT opens, and I followed instructions for >Welcome to Circuitpython> that says:
Normally, when you drag a file to a mounted USB drive, the file copies to the drive and then is able to be seen in your file explorer. However, when you drag the CircuitPython UF2 file to the boot drive, it seems to disappear, and the drive disconnects. This is normal! The UF2 is essentially an installer file, and does not
simply sit on the drive, but installs CircuitPython if the board is in bootloader mode (i.e. the boot drive).

What could be wrong?

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

I forgot to mention that first I installed CircuitPython, and it gave me a uf2 file on my laptop.
The instructions said >Now find the file you downloaded. Drag that file to the boot drive (CPLAYBOOT) on your computer.>

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

I should add that 2 years ago, I was using CPExpress boards, with for several projects using codes from Adafruit to animate the Neopixels and Dot LED strips. I enjoy working with CPExpress and Adafruit projects!

dastels

Post by dastels »

CPLAYBOOT isn't really a USB drive. It's a way to flash firmware onto the board by copying a file.

What UF2 file are you copying to CPLAYBOOT?

Dave

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_bluefruit-en_US-9.0.2.uf2

dastels

Post by dastels »

That should work.

You're copying that to CPLAYBOOT? Does CPLAYBOOT then dismount and CIRCUITPY mounts?

Dave

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

Yes,I am copying that to CPLAYBOOT.Then the onboard NeoPixels turned red, and the tiny Led flashed red for about 2 minutes. Then it closed and a few minutes later all the LEDS turned bright blue and never openend the CIRCUITPY drive. After about 10 minutes all the LEDS turned bright yellow and then the board shut down.
Never able to get the CIRCUITPY drive.

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

Should I mention that I have an electronic TC2 Jacquard weaving loom for weaving tapestries, that is connected to this laptop. This loom uses software to interpret my weaving designs in binary code files on my laptop. Could that cause a conflict?

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

I hope that I can use the Circuit Playground Bluefruit in my projects. Can you please help?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hi, you may need to upload the bootloader...did you try that yet :)

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... bootloader

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

Hi, I updated the bootloader but had a snow storm -caused power failure. Will try again today.

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

Hello adafruit2,

Today, before updating Bootloader, the CPLAYBOOT Info-UF2 file said this:
UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019

I followed instructions for the link you provided:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... bootloader
and plugged in my Circuit Playground Bluefruit, and pressed Reset.

CPLAYBOOT drive opened, and I copied the file named "file" and the uf2 file named :
update-circuitplayground_nrf52840_bootloader-0.8.2_nosd.uf2

Nothing happened after a few minutes so I pressed Reset.

CPLAYBOOT drive opened and now the CPLAYBOOT Info-UF2 file said this:
UF2 Bootloader 0.2.11-8-g2c13fd5-dirty lib/nrfx (v1.1.0-1-g096e770) lib/tinyusb (legacy-755-g55874813) s140 6.1.1
Model: Adafruit Circuit Playground nRF52840
Board-ID: nRF52840-CircuitPlayground-revD
Date: Jul 13 2019

After about 5 minutes the CPLAYBOOT drive closed and about 5 minutes later all the neopixels turned bright blue -then about 5 minutes later they all turn a harsh bright yellow, same as usual.

As I mentioned a few days ago, I downloaded the bundle for use with CircuitPython 9.x.x. MY Mu editor is using CircuitPython 9.

By the way, on my other older laptop I programmed my Arduino boards and CPlaygroundExpress boards using Arduino IDE, Thonny, and Mu editors.

On this Asus (newer) laptop, I have only installed the Mu editor.

Is there another method to get the CIRCUITPY drive for my Bluefruit projects?

pweaver

Post by pweaver »

I should mention again that all of the above steps were tried on 3 new CPBluefruiut boards, and 2 different laptops. Can anyone kindly help?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”